Sheltering for the Rain

0 Conversations

Russian Scientists have discovered another reason not to hide from rain under a tree.

Most of you will be familiar with the fact not to hide under a tree when a thunder storm is comming. This, whilst the lightning will strike in high objects. Put aside the fact that statistical analysis have proved lightning will strike as often five meters next to a church as anywhere else. During a thunder storm one can best squat anywhere low on the ground.

During the first moments of rainfall under the trees one is rather safe from getting whet. However if the leaves get soaked you better get somewhere else. Raindrops falling through a tree will wash out all the dirt this tree collected during the non raining period. Chemical elements as carbon, calcium and manganese are washed out during the rainfall. As soon as the drops get through the tree their concentration of pollution is high enough to exceed the allowed maximum concentration. This does not mean you will get burn injuries by the drops, however they will not be healthy.

Pity for us humans living in the industrialised countries even the rain is dangerous. We will have to wait inside our cars for it to stop.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A1164322

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more