The Terranic Army : A History - Part 1

1 Conversation



Well where do I start? The Terranic Army has been going almost as long as I have, and so it would seem reasonable to say that what I am going to explain (at least initially) will more resemble my first tentative steps in to the world of H2G2. I would like, as much as possible, for this to be a no holds barred account of my first community group leadership, and which is also simultaneously (to date) my most popular group...

In the Beginning...

The Terranic Army came in to existence on the 29th August 2002. I had only registered six days earlier, in which time I had already created two guide entries, which would eventually get in to the Edited Guide.

I think in my time on here I have met only one person who could possibly have had a more enthusiastic start than myself. A man who goes by the name of Jodan, who appears to incredibly still have his newbie enthusiasm, which unfortunately disipated in myself.

You could say it had very humble beginnings, in that when it was first added as a guide entry it had only two lines:

Current Members :
General Terran

I had in my previous six days, however, been a busy bee. I had been meeting and greeting some of the highly regarded researches (well thats I thought any way) on h2g2, and so resorted to something which I probably should have got in to trouble for. I spammed about a dozen ACE's and people who I had met. The effect of this, created a stable core for the Terranic Army. Basically all the earlier members where ones who weren't likely to be going to be leaving h2g2 in a hurry.

However, as much as I would like to take credit for master minding this, I have to admit that this came about mostly by accident. I had simply met a lot of ACE's and long term members in my early days.



Since it was an army, it made sense to me to have a regimental system. This would prove to be both a blessing and a curse, of which I will explain later.

Very quickly a lot of people joined. By 31st August 2002, there were 8 members. I very quickly decided to "spruce up" the Terranic Army Page, giving it an introduction, and added links to the conversations at the bottom (E.g. "The Barracks", "The Senior Officers Quarters", "The Signing in Room"...etc).



In two days the army had become a fully functioning community group. But things were about to get a lot more interesting...

"During the War" : The Tea Boy War

On the same day, 31st August 2002, a researcher going by the name of Owlatron arrived. He was leader of a group called the Thundercats (named after a famous kids TV show by the same name) and arrived in the War Strategy Room. In doing so created the first battle for the Terranic Army. Now by battle I of course mean a RPG battle game, though it was a little no holds barred. We didn't use any rules of contunity till afterwards.

The reason I call it the Tea Boy wars relates to a statement which Owlatron made when he first introduced himself to the group. Because I didn't immediately agree to joining forces with his group, he decided instead he wanted me to be his tea boy. I was none too pleased about this, and so I said I wanted him to be my army's tea boy. Now you might notice that this is a tadge on the petty side, just as all the best wars seem to start. But just remember this is all in good humour.

It only went on for a day but the battle took over so many threads with so many postings, that it left quite a lasting effect on the army. It appeared to be a positive effect strangely enough, because the group of us who had fought together, got to know each other quite well : spook, AJ Rimmer and Shoal Prexy. We of course claimed victory. A full account of what happened can be found here.

As it turned out Owlatron, is actually a decent person. If you ever get the chance to catch him online, I would recommend you leave him a message.

The Alliances

During and after our little encounter with Owlatron and the Thundercats, we decided that it would be a good idea to get some allies on our side. Strength in number and all that.

As I recall the first allies we obtained were The Potato Army. AJ Rimmer was a member of the potato army before hand, and so it made sense to join them as allies. As it was the next day we recruited their sworn enemy : Dax aka. Auntie Edith, which Rimmer wasn't too happy about.

Links
Vogon battle
The Tea Boy Wars


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A1321471

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more