retinopathy of prematurity

2 Conversations

Retinopathy of prematurity or ROP is an eye condition which effects premature babies. When a baby is in the womb, the retina starts to develop about 16 weeks in to the pregnancy. It is completely developed by about 36 weeks. However, if this process is interupted, there will be problems.

ROP happens because parts of the retina lack oxygen. This causes chemicals to be released. These chemicals cause new blood vessels to grow. These new blood vessels usually grow in the wrong direction. Doctors don't know why this happens. Doctors think that if a baby has to be put on oxygen at birth, this is toxic to the developing blood vessels.

ROP happens in 5 stages. If arrested in stage one or two, the ROP usually goes away on it's own with no lasting effects. If it does not, it can cause scar tissue to form, which can pull the retina out of place. In stages 3 and 4, there is a partial retinal detachment. Lazor surgery or cryotheropy (freezing the dammaged parts of the retina away) is necessary. In stage 5, there is a complete retinal detachment. If the retina is not reattached, the baby may be blinded or visually impaired. surgery can not be done later in life to reattach the retina if it has been detached.

The only treatmeant for this condition is lazor surgery or cryotherapy (see above). Sometimes a surgery called "sclural buckling" is done to try and reattach the retina. This involves a rubber band being wrapped around the eye for a certain amount of time. It is only done very rarely.

some people can get cataracts or glaucoma (high eye pressure) when they get older because of the ROP.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A13573109

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more