Beatnik

0 Conversations

A person who gives the apperance of a blatent disreguard for everyone else's opnions and refuses to accept a belif simply because it's 'allways been that way' and must question all the rules short of LOOK BOTH WAYS BEFORE YOU CROSS THE STREET (unless of course said person is outstandingly bored, which is coincidentaly a frequint occurence among the beats) Being a Beatnik is somewhat akin to living an active life of civil disobediance, such as described by Henry David Thoreau. It's like the ultimate excuse to folow you every stupid impulse and call it poetic, or artfull and I'm gonna go to sleep now and finish thisentry later... I'm back(13 weeks later, long nap) anyhow, a beatnik isn't something a person is, but rather something a person does: In the early 1940s a man named Jack Kerouac began to feel traped in his every day life and routines, so with little to know money in his pocket began to hitch hike, cross country from new york to sanfransisco. Just at in 1986 a man (for all intents and pourposes) named Aaron Comet bus continued on a punk rock tour in florida with just himself on drums and a gutiar player after the other members of their band left them on the footsteps of a church somewhere in Florida. By sheer will power, determination and more than a little chrasima these talented writers/poets traveled coast to coast, with juants in europe on nothing but pocket change and belly button lint. The only thing that kept Kerouac afloat was his writing, and Cometbus his zine's and Band hoping, but both a legendary artists of Carpe Diem, and exelent examples of the beatnik spirit.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A140257

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more