Bywater@h2g2

3 Conversations

By Michael Bywater, h2g2 Staff Enforcer

He is an unlikely hero for the closing months of the second millennium, but, closeted in his luxury hideaway clinging limpet-like to a Provençal hillside or coteau - a French word which French people use to mean "hillside" when speaking to each other in their language, French - the man they call "Mister Smack-In-The-Face" is taut, elegant, alert, somehow... linear.

Clad elegantly in his elegant clothes, "Smackie" (as
he is known to his few close friends) is a difficult man to reach; unapproachable,
detached, self-contained, reclusive, hermit-like, surrounded by an almost-impenetrable
wall of security. You might almost say he is elusive. And Smackie knows his
own power, insisting (for example) on full copy approval for any interview.

"That's right," says Smackie, "and you can see why. For a start, I never gave you permission to call me 'Smackie'. Plus there are several grammatical mistakes in the first two paragraphs of your 'interview', as well as a non-sequitur, a tautology and a glaring ambiguity. I mean, it looks as if you're saying I am clinging to a Provençal hillside. I am not. I do not cling. I have people to cling for me. Okay? I mean, it's just sloppy writing. That's the trouble with this damned Internet nonsense: any little counter-jumper with a laptop and a modem thinks he's all set to be the second Alistair Cooke. Feh."

With that, Mister Smack-In-The-Face sprays himself lightly with Annick Goutal Sables, licks delicately at a perfect pomegranate, and smacks me in the face.

It is almost a privilege. The fist is bunched, gnarled, trans-sonic,
tumescent. Propelled from the shoulder, the blow is at once brutal yet caressing.
Mister Smack-In-The-Face's muscles ripple beneath his elegant cotton "Man-At-C&A"-style
shirt. The air is suffused with the unmistakeable aroma of lots
of money
. As I am carried away into the waiting ambulance - luxurious,
private; nothing but the best for Mister Smack-In-The-Face's guests - I find
myself reflecting: is "Smackie" living proof that the
great question of good and evil
can be resolved in the person of
one very private, very reclusive, yet deeply violent man?


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A144875

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more