How to avoid people you don't like

4 Conversations


Often, when you are out and about, you will see somebody you do not like and wish to avoid them. The purpose of this entry is to (hopefully) help you avoid those people successfully.For ease of reference this entry will be divided into steps which, used together, should enable you to avoid those unsavoury characters.

Step 1: Make a list.



This is not always necessary, but it can be useful. Basically, you make a list of people you don't like and who you wish to avoid. You can make this list anywhere you like; in your head, on a PC, mobile phone or piece of paper. An A4 piece of paper would be good for this, as it can be folded neatly and tucked away into your coat pocket for future,or emergency, reference. Not liking certain people is perfectly okay, but start to worry if you have covered both sides of the paper and still have a lot of people to add to the list. If you find yourself in this position, it is wise to look for a job that enables you to work from home, and also buy your shopping online and have it delivered. This will minimise contact with other people.

Step 2: Identify problem areas.

In other words, work out where the people on your list are likely to be. If you are trying to avoid an ex boyfriend or girlfriend, it is not a wise idea to visit their place of business or take a stroll along their street. This could result in you making contact with this person and should be avoided at all costs. Sometimes it is impossible, or very impractical, to avoid certain danger areas, but with a bit of forward planning the risks can be reduced.

  • Avoiding people at home
  • You may not think so, but this can be easier than it sounds. It all depends on your living arrangements. If you are a child living at home with the parents, and they are the people you want to avoid, the obvious solution is to shut yourself in your room. Parents usually figure out that you are trying to avoid them and will give you your space, but there is nothing to stop them intruding on your space. After all, it is their house, and you are not old enough to move out. This technique probably has a 75% success rate and is the best option open to you.

    For the older person living at home (somebody who is old enough to move out but hasn't done so) the option with the highest success rate is staying out all night. It is highly unlikely your parents will frequent the same pubs and clubs as you, so there should be no problems there. Similarly, staying out until early morning will have the same effect. If you are at home, shutting yourself in your room will also be effective, but, as with children, you may have to suffer the intrusive parent.

    If you are living with a partner, wife or husband, the best idea is to separate or get divorced. As far as home life goes, this will have a 100% success rate, all going well.

  • Avoiding people at work
  • If possible, arrange your shifts so they do not co-incide with the person or people you are trying to avoid. If you do not want to make it obvious you are avoiding them, say your home circumstances have changed (other half works night shift, for example) and you can no longer work the same shifts, as much as you'd love to.

    Unfortunately, a simple shift change is not always possible, so more advanced avoidance techniques must be employed. If you work in an office, never ever walk into the stationery cupboard at the same time as the person you are trying to avoid. Firstly, these are usually confined spaces with little room for manoeuvre, and secondly the reason you are in there is for stationery, or a rendezvous with a colleague. Either way, excusing yourself may be difficult. Make sure the coast is clear before making your wayt to the cupboard.

    Lunchtime can be hazardous, but it needn't be. Chances are, you do not go to lunch with the person you want to avoid, but if you happen to go to the same place, simply go somewhere else. Do this as much as you have to, or until you run out of sandwich shops. Even then hope is not lost. Try to leave for lunch a little later to find out where he or she is going, and go somewhere else.

  • Avoiding people in public


  • Often the hardest area to avoid people, and as such a lot of skill is needed at times.

    Everybody needs to go shopping (unless you are the sort of person with a really big list of people to avoid, and shop online), but what happens when you see somebody you want to avoid at the local supermarket? Do you fight hunger and avoid buying soap powder to wash dirty clothes and simply leave the store, or do you go in full of confidence and accept the consequences? The best solution is somewhere in between: skulking.

    The great thing about supermarkets is the shelves. Everything you need will probably be on a shelf somewhere, and the shelves are high enough to hide behind. If you see a person to avoid (PTA), go to a different aisle and skulk around a bit, making use of your peripheral vision to spot them at the top of the aisle. If you see a PTA in your aisle, on no account make eye contact. Simply turn and walk off in the other direction as casually as possible. This can be done for the entire trip with varying degrees of success. Listening to music will explain a lack of reaction when your name is called, and a cereal box held up to the face will provide the perfect excuse for not noticing a PTA. Checkouts may be problematic depending on the time of day, but some more skulking should solve all problems. Wait until your PTA has been served before going to the checkout, and if possible also go to another checkout, but not one closer to the door. This makes you more likely to be spotted.

    When out for a drink try to avoid quiet, local pubs. Go to the big Wetherspoons ones where you can sit in a corner surveying the crowd or, to make you more indistinguishable, reading a book. Drink your drink slowly to reduce the amount of trips to the bar.




    Step 3: Learn from your mistakes



    If your initial attemps at avoidance are useless, do not be discouraged. Try to work out where it went wrong and work on your mistakes. All may seem lost at first, but if you work at it you will become an expert avoider, seeing only those who deserve to be seen.


    Bookmark on your Personal Space


    Entry

    A17147847

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Infinite Improbability Drive

    Read a random Edited Entry


    Written and Edited by

    Disclaimer

    h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

    Write an Entry

    "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

    Write an entry
    Read more