Sub-Atomic space

0 Conversations

I am currently doing a double GCSE in higher-tier science and dispite being the best in our school it seems that I still have a lot to learn. So here's my theory on Sub-Atomic space:

If an atom was the size of a football pitch then the nucleus would be the size of an orange, sitting on the centre mark. The electrons would be whizzing round the edges near the speed of light and about the size of a full stop. Then the next atom (on this scale) would be the length of 14 football pitchs away.
Therefore, the space inside an atom is 99.99% nothing. Nothing can fill the void. Also, between the atoms there is more nothing. The structure of objects means that every 14 football pitches there is ONE orange. That's a whole lot of nothing!
So back to normal size now; everything that exists is made of atoms. Atoms and their bonds take up 99.99999999...% of actual SPACE. So out of whatever you see, it is actually taking up only 0.00000001% of real space. You are sitting on a chair made from almost nothing. Everything in the world is almost nothing. Everything in the Universe is almost nothing. So theorically it could all be put in a thimble. Then ya get a big bang!

Well that's my theory, if you can spot any blatent errors in my physics then don't hestitate to question my ability and make me more the fool.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A176168

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more