General Relativity

3 Conversations

<P>
General Relativity (which is basically Special Relativity in acceleration fields) isn't easy. In fact, next to super strings, it is the hardest thing to learn on this wet little planet (well actually, memorizing all those stupid body parts in anatomy is harder).
</P<P>
General Relativity can be best summarized by saying that gravity doesn't really exsist. Instead, mass/energy (which is the same thing), curves space, and that particles follow geodesics (the fancy way of saying shortestpath, or in general relativity, longest path) on that (four dimensional) surface.
</P><P>
The basic math for this has been known since the mid 1800's by a guy named Riemann. He invented the mathematics of higher dimensional curved spaces. In fact, he found out that you could completely define everything if you know the metric (the formula telling the distance between two points, written in differential form) of the surface. You can then use something called tensor analysis, along with some really good intuition to find that the equation for gravity looks really simple. In fact, it is about the size of Newton's gravition equation if you count the number of symbols. I must emphasize that it <I>looks</I> simple, because if you expand that one little line out in terms of the metric equation, you get several independent equations all so big that after an hour of expanding one of them I lost patience and decided that playing with paper clips was much more exciting.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A176726

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more