The ghost of Christmas as it really was...

0 Conversations

Once upon a time

In a land far away, if you're anywhere near where I be, there were a bunch of people who had a relatively new religion to promote.

Some forty years after their founder and leader had taken the lift to paradise, an old boy who'd known him named Luke embarked upon a literary enterprise that would serve for many churches and a couple of centuries as the recruiting pamphlet for those who hadn't been around to witness the original run of the production.


Two hundred or so years later, someone in a red hat decided that it would be a good idea to not only celebrate the earthly death and subsequent corporeal recycling of the boss, but to stir up a little excitement about his birth and the events preceding and surrounding it. Luke's little pamphlet provided a bit of the necessary grist for the holiday mill, but a little bit of punching up was needed if it was to compete successfully with the other faith's celebrations. So a little bit of cutting and pasting using bits and pieces of other traditions brought to a useful and foaming head the famous twelve days plus Boxing day that we could almost unrecognize today.

The early Christians had no use for a Christ Mass celebration or tradition. They were really really looking hard for the coded message in the Gospels plus the supposed book of Revelations that would tell them exactly when the Boss would come striding back into the office.
He'd promised a return engagement that would signal the beginning of the end of the world and the end of the beginning of a new Kingdom of Heaven, at least the way they read it. Or heard it.

It was the Church as a corporation that needed to get on with business as usual, so they declared that old what's his face wasn't really needed on the ground since they knew what he wanted to be done and they were part of the succession of people who had touched people who had touched people who had been touched by Jeshua Von Nazareth, so they were pretty much just as good as the real thing, so take their word for it. The Kingdom Of Heaven was going to happen real soon, and the end of the world as you know it meant that you were going to gain a religion real soon or pay the price for not being part of the club.

The Gospels themselves show no moments when Jeshua dwells upon his conception or birth or the Slaughter of the Innocents under Herod while his folks took a vacation in Egypt. In fact, if one reads the text and the subtext with a straight face and a sober mind, he takes great pains to make sure that he and his mum would not be revered, sanctified and worshipped. He had a little problem with litanies and ceremonies. He also had a problem with tradition.

I don't think, looking down from the right hand of G-d, that he had much problem with the Bishop of Nicea when he was a functioning individual. It was only when Nicholas became a Saint that it gets a little hinky. I mean, Jeshua only used the word "saint" to describe people who were living.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A17969331

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more