Bonfire Night Cuisine Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bonfire Night Cuisine

3 Conversations

Basking in the radiant heat of a bonfire whilst watching fireworks burst overhead is a wonderful experience, but Bonfire Night isn't complete unless you've got something good to eat. When you're out in the cold of a November night, there's nothing more satisfying than a piping hot baked potato or a thick slab of warming meat and potato pie. Treacle toffee mustn't be forgotten, either - incredibly popular and almost irresistible, and a fantastic way of temporarily silencing any particularly exuberant children.

Other more unusual foods exist, too - black peas for example, and can only be prepared by soaking them in water for what feels like the best part of a month.

Cooking Baked Potatoes on a Bonfire

  • You have to wrap the potato in aluminium foil first.

  • Using a long stick - or similar long stick-type thing - shove the potato gently into the bottom of the burning heap of your bonfire. Don't fling it madly at the top of the bonfire, or anyone standing around the other side might get mildly peeved. Or worse.

  • You can cheat by semi-cooking it first in a microwave. But it's not highly recommended.

  • Don't lose your stick. You will want to retrieve the potato, at some point, possibly about forty-five minutes later. You'll also need gloves to open the foil, unless you really aren't very fond of the skin on your hands.

  • You'll be wanting a bit of salt and butter on the potato. Shun all margarines.

  • Pass the pepper, would you?

Bonfire Night Baked Potato Fillings

For indoor cooks...

  • Bake your potato as normal, but take it out of the oven around ten minutes before it's done. Leave the oven on - you'll be popping the potato back in a moment.

  • Cut the potato in half and scoop out the insides

  • Mix the scooped-out potato with finely chopped onion and diced corned beef, a sprinkling of salt and pepper and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.

  • Pile the mixture back into the potato skins, return to the oven and cook for a final ten minutes.

  • Take your potato from the oven, sprinkle with grated cheese and put under the grill for around 10 minutes, for that finishing touch. Enjoy!


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A201646

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more