The Tartan Army

2 Conversations

This is the term for supporters of the Scotland National Football Team who regularly attend matches both home and away. There are of course vast numbers of fans who attend the home matches and a hard core of about 1,000 fans who travel to almost all away matches. This number swells to between 5,000 and 20,000 travelling fans when Scotland reach the final stages of any major tournament (e.g. European Championships or the World Cup). Of course the greatest attraction of all comes when we play our neighbours and greatest rivals - England (The Auld Enemy).

The Tartan Army, although being somewhat loud when travelling, has built itself a reputation for being friendly and open. They are not hooligans and they are always welcomed back if Scotland are to play any team.

The Tartan Army (unfortunately unlike the Scotland Team) were champions at the European Championship finals in 1992. UEFA awarded the Supporters Award to the Scots for being the most loyal, friendly and best behaved fans to attend the championships.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A201853

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more