Galileo Galilei - Astronomer

7 Conversations

Until approximately 400 years ago, it was widely believed that the Universe revolved about the Earth. This theory is clearly incorrect, but had a lot of supporters in high places at the time.

Nicolaus Copernicus was actually the first person to notice this phenomenon, but he was largely ignored because he was Polish, while Galileo Galilei (1564 - 1642) covered similar subject matter in his work, The Dialogue, and was taken seriously. Seriously enough to land him under house arrest for the remainder of his life*.

On a happier note, Galileo's excommunication by the Catholic Church was even-more-recently repealed, ending his eternity of pain and torment to a meager 350 years or so. This delay is quite odd, since Galileo's body has been buried in the consecrated ground of the Santa Croce church in Florence, Italy, for nearly that entire time.

Galileo's fame has grown exponentially over the years, due to his innumerable additions to the base of human knowledge and understanding, because he challenged the authority of the Catholic Church, and because he had a cool, alliterative name.

Among other honours, he has been the subject of a song by the Indigo Girls, and a play by Bertolt Brecht, who was also immortalised due to a cool, alliterative name.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A218440

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

References

h2g2 Entries

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more