Sad, isn't it.

1 Conversation


On the occassion of the tenth anniversary of the massacre

in Montréal, December 6, 1989.


Ten years ago today, at l'École Polytechnique de Montréal, 14 young women were gunned down by a lunatic with a gun. They were killed because they were women, that's all. That's a terrible thing. Those bright young humans were snuffed out by another human with a defective brain. That should scare everyone. A significant portion of our species is malfunctioning. The societies we are building don't work properly.


A young man was permitted to develop the idea that the success of those women was so unjust that nothing short of killing them would sort things out. He was broken in the head and he didn't know it, because nothing in his culture worked well enough to correct his malfunction. His culture is broken too. It gave him the means, the power, to kill 14 women.


How much nicer life would be if the broken young man's culture had worked well enough that it cut off his power when he started to go wrong, and empowered the 14 women, or anyone else who is not broken, to help him to work properly again.


These are people you will never meet:

Geneviève Bergeron, 21

Hélène Colgan, 23

Nathalie Croteau, 23

Barbara Daigneault, 22

Anne-Marie Edward, 21

Maud Haviernick, 29

Barbara Maria Klueznick, 31

Maryse Laganière, 25

Maryse Leclair, 23

Anne-Marie Lemay, 27

Sonia Pelletier, 23

Michèle Richard, 21

Annie St-Arneault, 23

Annie Turcotte, 21

Sad, isn't it.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A223255

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more