Yule: the Winter Solstice

1 Conversation


Yule ['yula' Anglo-Saxon meaning 'wheel of the year'] also Alban Arthan and Feill Fionnain.


This is an article about the ancient and modern traditions associated with the celebration of the Winter Solstice, in Pagan and Wiccan traditions. Comments about Yule are welcome in the Forum for this article. For comments or questions on other aspects of Paganism or Wicca you are invited to The Wiccan Forum. We make really good herbal tea, too.


The pagan calendar is based on the seasons of the year and the progression of the sun and the moon through the seasons. The Winter Solstice is an ancient holiday with many celebrations and customs with origins in ancient times. It is celebrated around December 21; the longest night/shortest day of the year.



The origin of the primitive celebration centers around the 'turning' of the year from dark to light; the return [or rebirth] of the sun; the lengthening of days, and so on. The Winter Solstice has been associated with the birth of a "Divine King" since ancient times. Since the Sun represents the Male Divinity in many Pagan Traditions,the "return of the Sun God" is celebrated. 1



"With it's associations of Nordic divination, Celtic fertility rites, and Roman Mithraism, many ancient celebrations are linked to the birth of older Pagan gods and heroes. And many of them (like Oedipus, Theseus, Hercules, Perseus, Jason, Dionysus, Apollo, Mithra, Horus and even Arthur) possessed a narrative of birth, death, and resurrection. On the longest night of the winter, 'the dark night of our souls', there springs the new spark of hope, the Sacred Fire, the Light of the World, the Coel Coeth." 2

Merry Saturnalia gives other examples of ancient traditions related to the celebration of the Winter Solstice that have crept into modern life, both wiccan -- and otherwise.

Traditions

The yule log
was lighted on the eve of the Solstice -- and kept burning for 12 hours for good luck.A portion of the yule log is kept throughout the year to protect the home, and is used to light the following year's log. Such customs may be traced back to the Saturnalia, Mithraism and even farther to ancient Egypt. Mistletoe and holly were also associated with the holiday; symbolizing fertility [that's where the kissing under the Mistletoe came from] and everlasting life. Evergreen boughs wer used to decorate the house also as a symbol of continuing life. Fire, because of it's association with light and the returning sun was connected to this in several ways. This includes the yule fire, candles, and the traditional colors of Yule: red [fire] and green [evergreen trees] Bayberry candles ensure wealth and happiness in the coming year.


Feasting
was always part of the Yule holiday, including the Wassail cup from the Anglo-saxon 'waes hael'(be whole, or healthy). Feasting was important to prepare for the long stretch between midwinter and the summer. The livestock and stores from the harvest were blessed looking to survival until the next harvest.


Gift giving
was also practiced in ancient times. It was a tradition during the Roman Saturnalia and has evolved in various other traditions as well. Masters waited on servants and gifts, particularly candles, were given, as well as coins, fruit and pastry. Sharing wealth and food with those less fortunate raised their chances of survival throughout the winter.


Wiccan Celebrations


The modern Wiccan celebrates Yule as the 'turning' of the year. From dark to light. A new birth of the sun. The celebration may be on the Solstice or may include the 12 days between December 20 and 31st.



Wiccans decorate their house with evergreen boughs, mistletoe, and holly. A wreath becomes a symbol of the turning of the year. They bring in a yule log which may be a live rooted pine tree on which are placed lights, or a log that is actually burned as part of the celebraton. Or, both!



Foods are prepared; fancy cookies and breads and other treats are part of a holiday feast. Drinks such as mulled wine or cider are prepared to be drunk to health and fortune for the future. Candles are lit to welcome the returning sun. The colors of red and green are used, and natural materials such as fruits, herbs, and nuts, employed to create decorations. Some of these foods an decorations may be shared with friends, in addtion to being used in the home and in celebration.

blessed be

Guide articles about other Wiccan Holidays.

The Wheel of the Year; the Wiccan Calendar
Samhain, October 31
Beltane, May 1

1Yule/Winter Solstice Witchvox.com2Midwinter's Eve:YULE, by Mike Nichols

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Title
Latest Post

Entry

A224533

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more