Dalton (NSW, Australia)

0 Conversations

Dalton is a small town in rural New South Wales. 100km away from Canberra, and only 11 km from the Hume Highway near Gunning, it gets far less traffic than might be thought. Dalton is large enough to have its own pub and post office, but small enough to have nothing else. There used to be a couple of other stores, but they have been closed for some time.

I moved from Canberra to Dalton a short while ago, and was impressed with the number of tennis courts. This is place where tennis was once very popular. There are at least 4 tennis courts, and maybe more that I haven't come across yet. That's one for every 25 people, according to the aging signs posted at each entrance to the town. Now I'm no expert, but that sounds like a pretty high ratio to me. Unfortunately, very few statistics organisations are equipped to provide Tennis Courts per capita figures, which is perhaps a shame. It could also be considered a shame that, with so many courts to choose from, no one seems to have actually played tennis for such a long time that the courts are all becoming uneven and weed-choked.

Dalton is a fairly quiet place, the silence broken only by various animal noises (birds, cows, sheep, dogs) until spring brings on a plague of lawnmowers. You might think that people in Daltonm mow their lawns more often than needed, but you won't think that for long after watching a patch of lawn turn into waist-high savannah country in a fortnight. Just leaving the grass to grow is not an option, this is bushfire country, after all, and the last thing you (or your neighbours) want is a few hundred cubic feet of highly combustible material close to the houses.

There is one other thing that breaks the contemplative silence of this sleepy town, and it's something they'll warn you about when you first visit the pub. Dalton inhabitants like to party, and when they do, they tend to do it all night. 8-)

Dalton is not a tourist centre by any stretch of the imagination. The few large events that do happen, are not aimed to bring in visitors, but to amuse the locals.

><> (More work to be done on this entry)

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A225334

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more