The Roman Invasion of Britain

5 Conversations

The 43 AD invasion was the third Roman excursion into Britain, led by Emperor Claudius (from behind in Rome) and General Aulus Plautius (from the front in Britain). Four legions sailed from Boulogne to the Solent, landing in the vicinity of Richborough - Rutupiae

The stage was set for the Invasion, the task of the pacification of Britain was given to four legions. These were experienced units that had a long history of fighting in some of the toughest campaigns of the Gallic wars.
The conquest took the Romans just 41 years, 43-84 AD, and they stayed 326 years.

When the invasion of Claudius arrived in Britain in 43 AD, it was not for the first time a Roman army had landed. They had previously arrived in 55 BC, commanded by Julius Caesar. The invasion or military expedition had to be abandoned due to trouble in Gaul. A second attempt was made in 54 BC, but this also was abandoned for the same reasons; politics, civil war and particularly his assassination meant he never returned.

Reasons For Invasion

The reasons Claudius had for the 43 AD invasion are varied but can be summed up under three headings: political, timing and opportunity, and finally financial and trade.

Political

Claudius was the new Emperor of Rome this was a position in which he needed to prove him self worthy and a strong ruler.

The example of an independent Britain could cause unrest in Gaul and was regarded as a danger to the security of the western side of the empire. Also any defeated Gaul could retreat to Britain to prepare any return with the support of the British leaders, and with no fear of the Roman reprisals.

Timing and opportunity

One of the most powerful tribal leaders in Britain Cunobelinus had died, his two sons Togodumnus and Caractacus now controlled his lands. They would take some time to establish their reputations and establish control over the kingdom and renew treaties. The British tribes were angered by the tribute imposed by Julius Caesar in 54 BC, when he withdrew from Britain. It was at this time that Caractacus made an error. he invaded territory of the king Verica of the Atrebates. Verica fled to Rome asked Claudius to help and the reason for invasion was provided.

Financial and Trade

The presents of an independent Britain was effecting trade routes throughout Gaul, and caused fears of unrest and disruption of trade in the western Empire.

The Roman trade in lead, copper, iron and tin was hungry for raw materials these were abundant in Britain. At this time there was a dangerous shortage in gold and silver and the shortage of currency threatened inflation this could lead to serious public unrest. There was also an abundance of agricultural land in Britain which would provide a reliable and plentiful supply of various food crops for the expanding empire.

The Legions That Conquered Britain

The legions that formed the invasion force were:

  • Legion XX - The Valeria Victrix
  • Legion XIV - Gemina Martia Victrix
  • Legion II - The Augusta
  • Legion IX - The Hispania

Legion XX The Valeria Victrix, formed in 31 BC

The title 'Valeria Victrix' was awarded after action in Pannonian revolt of 6-9 AD.

The Legion XX Valeria used a Celtic boar as a battle standard.


Valerius Messallinus was commanding in 43 AD.

The legion originally was stationed at the fortress of Novaesium1 in Germany. The Legion was ordered to be part of the invasion of
Britain2.
This was one the best remembered of the Legions that saw service in Britain and a vexilatio (company) of Legion XX Valeria Victrix, with Legion XIV Gemina Martia Victrix and Auxiliary forces that ended the Boudican rebellion of 60-61 AD. In 60AD the Roman Governor, Gaius Suetonius Paulinus, and a force of 10,000 men defeated Boudicca and her army of 80,000. The scattered traces of the burial mounds of the 80,000 Iceni who were killed could still be seen by the traveller on Watling Street between High Cross (Venonis) and Mancetter (Mandvessedum) during this period.
The Twentieth Legion were then stationed in Viroconium (Wroxeter) leaving Kingsholm fortress in Gloucester in the hands of the garrison of the Legion II Augusta.

The legate3 Gnaeus Julius Agricola was commanded to take the legion along the western coast of Britain and over the Pennines. This action was taken with Legion XX Valeria who shadowed Legion XX The Valeria Victrix, moving north through the vale of York. By this action both legions were able to bring to battle the Brigantian forces of Venutius at Stanwick Yorkshire.

During AD 78 and AD 84, the legion saw action in the highlands of Caledonia and was stationed at Carlisle and then Pinnata Castra (Inchtuthill) in Perthshire. In 88 AD, and the legion withdrew to Deva (Chester) replacing the Legion II The Augusta who were posted to Dacia.

Legion II The Augustan was joined by detachments from Legion XX The Valeria Victrix and the Legion VI Victrix in the building the Antoine Wall.

Legion XIV Gemina Martia Victrix, formed in 57 BC

The title 'Gemina Martia Victrix' or 'the twin legion' was awarded after action in the Boudican rebellion in 60 BC. Martia Victrix - blessed by Mars and victorious.


The Legion XIV Gemina Martia used a Capricorn as a battle standard.

The Roman general Julius Caesar recruited Legion XIV in 57 BC, during Gallic wars. Caesar deployed the legion in battle against the Nervians BC 57.

In 57 BC, the legion was annihilated4 in conflict with Ambiorix and the Belgian Eburones.
It was immediately reformed and saw action again at the siege of Alesia in 52 BC .
In the Civil War between Caesar and Pompey the Great the Legion fought for Caesar in the battle of Ilerda in Hispania.
Legion XIV Gemina Martia Victrix saw action again in the battle of Pharsalus 48 BC.
In 21 BC, the Legion was in action against the rebellious Turoni tribe in Gaul.

The next action the Legion was involved in was in 6 BC, against King Maroboduus of the Marcomanni, this took three years as the Roman forces had to put down a revolt in Pannonia to finish the task.

In 40 - 41 AD, the Legion was in in action against the Chatti, near Mainz in Caligula’s war against the Germans.

In 43 AD, Legion XIV Gemina Martia was one of the four Legions of the invasion force sent to conquer Britain. After the initial landings the Legion was stationed Mancetter on Watling Street. This was best remembered as the main Legion that that ended the Boudican rebellion of 60-61 AD. The Roman Governor, Gaius Suetonius Paulinus, and a force of 10,0005 men defeated Boudicca and her army of 80,000 in this area.

The Legion saw action in 67 AD, in the east empire and was garrisoned in the Balkans, after the civil war the Legion was sent back to Britain in about 70 AD.

Legion II The Augusta, formed in 43 BC

Given the title of 'the Legion of Augustus' in honour of its founder.

Titus Flavius Vespasianus was commanding in 43 AD.

Legion II The Augusta used a Pegasus as a battle standard.

This was possibly the Second Galician Legion and was in the forefront of the 25 -13 BC, Cantabrian wars and among the 8 legions involved was Legion XX The Valeria Victrix. After the disaster of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD, the II The Augusta were posted to Germainia and put under the command of Germanicus6 the command also included Legion XIV Gemina Martia. In 21 AD the Legion was in action Gaul against the rebels named Julius Sacrovir and Julius Florus.

In 43 AD, the Legion was sent to Britain as part of the invasion force with Legion XX The Valeria Victrix, and Legion XIV Gemina Martia, the force included one legion that had not campaigned with the other 3 - Legion IX The Hispania.

From 43 - 48 AD, the Legion was involved in the campaigns against the Cantium, Atrebates, Trinovantes, Catuvellauni, Dobunni, Durotriges and the Corieltauvi. The Legion was ordered to garrison several forts in the south west of Britain. The legion established a base at Exeter late in 48 AD, and in 67 AD, moved to a base in Gloucester. During the Boudican rebellion of 60-61 AD, the
Governor, Gaius Suetonius Paulinus, sent a request to Legion II The Augusta for troops, this request went unheeded by the prefect in charge of the legion Poenius Postumius7 as only a Legate could issue orders for the movement of troops or order the legion into action.

Men from the Legion took part in the 69 AD civil war but the bulk of the remained in Britain loyal to Vespasian. Later in 71 AD, Vespasian ordered II Augusta to garrison Caerleon the legion stayed in the town as a reserve in Wales. The legion stayed in Caerleon until 139 - 142 AD, when it was posted north for the building of the Antonine Wall.

Legion IX The Hispania, formed in 58 BC

The title ‘The Hispania’ was awarded after action in Hispania in the campaign against the Cantabrians 25–13 BC.

Legion IX The Hispania, used a Bull as a battle standard.

Caesius Nasica was commanding in 43 AD.

The Legion IX The Hispania, fought through all the Gallic wars, and stayed loyal to Caser in the civil war against Pompy. The Legion was at the battles of Dyrrhachium and Pharsalus 48 BC. After the disaster of the Teutoburg Forest in 9 AD, Legion IX The Hispania, were in Germania and moved to Pannonia (Austria, Hungary and Serbia).


After the landing of 43 AD, and the Expansion campaign of 44 - 47 AD, the Legions next action in 52 - 57 AD, against Venutius king of the Brigantes. Then in 61 AD, when they were sent to relieve Camulodunum (Colchester), they were surprised and routed by Boudicca
and her army. The losses suffered by the legion made up by reserves from Gremainia. The legion was involved in expansion of Roman Britain during 78 - 86 AD.

The last action of the legion was to built a fortress near York in 106 AD. Then, they seem to have been posted to southern and western Netherlands, (Germania Inferior). After 125 AD, there is no record of the legion.

The Crossing

The land of Britain was regarded with suspicion by the Romans this fear was second only to the fear of the sea. The result was all four legions refused to go on to the waiting ships. The army commander Aulus Plautius could not overcome the fears of his troops, the invasion was nearly called off. Claudius sent Narcissus, his Secretary for State to assist Aulus Plautius between them and (the fact that Narcissus was an ex-slave helped.) they persuaded the 42,000 men of legions to embark.

Over 100 years later the Roman historian Dio Cassius wrote the only account of the crossing in his Roman History , and this has led to some confusion. There is a clear port of departure the port of Gesoriacum (Boulogne) but he writes that the invasion set sail in three separate divisions but Cassius failed to precisely state the sites of the landings.

All available evidence points to the landing sites being at :

  • The main landing point was Richborough the Legion IX The Hispania and Legion XIV Gemina Martia Victrix, Plautius in command.
  • Lympne was the destination for the second division the Legion II Augusta , Vespasian in command.
  • Dover was the final landing point the Legion XX The Valeria Victrix, the commander of which was not recorded.

The Progress Of The Invasion

The initial British resistance to the landing was fierce. The pacification of Gaul 90 years before had shown what the Romans were capable of. Julius Caesar with a force of ten legions8 they had killed a million, enslaved a million more (1 in 4 of the population) and destroyed 800 towns and settlements.

The British resistance to the landing was led by Togodumnus and Caractacus of the Catuvellauni tribe. They fought well but were out classed and stood little chance. Caractacus was captured and sent to Rome as a prisoner. He was treated well and eventually freed. When given the opportunity to address the senate in Rome he is alleged to have said:

'And can you who have got such possessions and so many of them, covet our poor tents'?

43 AD - The landing and initial conquest.

Active Legions involved: IX, XX, XIV and II.

The invasion force landed in the vicinity of Richborough (Rutupiae) this was the main landing point, and a major supply and distribution depot was established. There were also landings at Lympne and Dover is evidence that there may have been a landing at Chichester9 and Bosham Harbour (Noviomagus) distribution and supply depot was established here but after the landings at Richborough.


  • The Emperor Claudius appointed the first Governor of Britain Aulus Plautius (43 - 47 AD). He continued the expansion of Roman rule and during his governorship territories conquered or annexed were:

The first area that was consolidated was inhabited by the Cantium - Kent and parts of Sussex, no king is recorded for the area. Of the 27 forts built during this period there is only one, Richborough was in Kent leading to the conclusion that the area was easily annexed.

The Leigions then moved east into the area inhabited by the Atrebates - Hampshire, Surrey and Sussex, that had been previously ruled over by King Verica. The palace at Fishbourne (near Chichester) is thought to have been a reward to King Verica for supporting the Romans during the invasion. It is not surprising that some of the British leaders supported the Romans, they knew what would happen if they lost the struggle.

The final stage of this expansion was north and east into the area inhabited by the Trinovantes - Essex and parts of Suffolk, previously ruled over by King Cunobelinus.


The next active stage of expansion took place between the years 44 - 47 AD.

The Legions active during this stage of expansion were again the IX, XX, XIV and II.

The expansion was in the direction of:

North east into the lands occupied by The Catuvellauni - this included Hertfordshire, Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Cambridgeshire, Oxfordshire, Northamptonshire and parts of Essex, previously ruled over by King was Cymbeline but at the time of the invasion there was a power struggle between his successors. The tribes lands were pacified or annexed by operations of the XIV and XX legions in 44 - 46 AD. The tribal capital Camulodunum (Colchester) fell during the brief campaign10 of the Emperor Claudius. The last king was Caractacus who was defeated by Claudius.

The XIV Legion then turned west towards the territory of the The Dobunni - who occupied Avon and part of Gloucestershire, a King is not recorded. The tribes lands were pacified and annexed by operations of the legion and were completed by 46 AD.

In 46 AD, the II legion moved west into the lands of the The Durotriges- in Devon and parts of Dorset and Somerset, no King is recorded. The tribes lands were pacified or annexed by operations of the II legion by the end of 47 AD. The eastern part of the territory, Dorset and Somerset were taken, leaving the tribe holding Devon. There were forts built by the II legion in Chichester, Fishbourne and Warnborough.

While the II legion were busy in the west the XIV legion advanced north into the territory of The Corieltauvi - occupying Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire, Northamptonshire, King Caractacusis.
The tribes lands were pacified and annexed by operations in the years 46 - 47 AD, Northamptonshire, Rutland and Leicestershire were taken, leaving the tribe holding Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire.

The Expansion of 47 - 60 AD.

The Legions involved in this stage were the XIV, XX and XIV whilst the II consolidated Rome’s power in the west.

  • A new Governor is appointed by Emperor Claudius to command the next stage of the expansion : Publius Ostorius Scapula (47 - 52 AD).

The territories conquered or annexed were:

The first action was against the The Iceni - in Norfolk and parts of Suffolk, ruled over by King Prasutagus. Formaly a client kingdom Rome’s the Iceni support of Rome was lost when Prasutagus , led the tribe in revolt over Roman policy11. The tribes lands were annexed by operations of the XX legion in 47 - 48 AD, Rome allowed Prasutagus to retain an independent kingdom There was a fort built by the legion in Kingsholm after the unrest.

In 48 AD, XIV the legion marched north into the lands of the Cornovii or The Horn People12 - of Shropshire, parts of Cheshire and Staffordshire no ruler is recorded.
The tribes lands were conquered or annexed by operations of the XIV legion and pacified in 50 AD. There was a fort built by the legion in the Midlands the site has been lost.

The IX legion were ordered north in 49 AD, to subdue The Correlative Recorded as holding Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire, no King is recorded. The tribes lands were conquered or annexed by operations of the IX legion in by 52 AD. There was a fort built by the legion in the North East Midlands. the site has been lost.

During this period the II legion continued operations in the west against The Dumnonii - of Cornwall and parts of Devon and Somerset. The tribes lands in Somerset were conquered or annexed by operations of the II legion. There was also a camp built at Alchester and then the II legion built a fort was built at Exeter. The II legion transferred to a base at Kingsholm at the end of 51 AD.

The lands of The Curatrixes - Holding parts of Devon, is threatened by II legion from their new base at Kingsholm by the end of 52 AD, the tribe was annexed. The II legion moved west into the territory occupied by The Cornovii The Cornish Horn People - Holding south western Cornwall and parts Devon, no royal family is recorded, the tribal lands were annexed by operations of the II legion.

The legions moved north and combined detachments of the XIV and XX legions moved against The Silures - of South East Wales and some of Gloustershire, The newly appointed King was Caractacus, the tribe were defeated in 51 AD, Caractacus was then pushed north west into the lands of the Ordovices but the Silures were to remain active against Rome until 77 AD. The Ordovices - of South West Wales, who led briefly by King Caractacus when he was pushed north from the territory of the Silures. Caractacus took on the resistance to Rome.
The Ordovices were conquered and Caractacus fled to the lands of Brigantes a client kingdom of Rome. Caractacus was returned to Rome by Cartimandua the Brigantian leader.

The Brigantes a client kingdom of Rome from 43 AD. Cartimandua was the Brigantian leader. It was at this time the Roman expansion reached the border of this allied territory.

The legions continued north west to the lands of The Deceangeli - of Northern Wales Flintshire and Denbyshire, no leader is recorded.
The tribe was conquered and annexed in 48 AD, after a short campaign.

  • The last Governor to be appointed by Emperor Claudius was Aulus Gallus (52 - 54 AD). He continued the conquest of Wales. He also supported the allied ruler Cartimandua of the Brigantes in her struggle to keep her kingdom.

The territory of The Demetae - of southwest Wales, Gwynedd and south Clwyd was annexed by detachments of the XX and XIV legions in 53 AD.

  • A new Governor is appointed by Emperor Nero Quintus Veranius Nepos (57 AD) Governor Quintus Veranius Nepos died in the year of his appointment and therefore there are no achievements recorded.
  • Emperor Nero appointed his second Governor of Britain Gaius Suetonius Paulinus (57 - 62 AD). He completed the conquest of Wales and destroyed the Druids, in a series of hard fought actions ending in Anglesey (Mona).

The Expansion of 62 - 78 AD.

Active Legions XX supported by Legion IX. Legion II Stationed at Exeter.

Territories conquered or annexed at this time:

Whilst Gaius Suetonius Paulinus was engaged in the action in Anglesey the Icini led by
Queen Boudica staged a revolt against Roman rule. The south eastern
tribes of Britain supported the Icini and destroyed Colchester (Camulodunum) London and St Albans (Verulamium) killing 80,000 Romans in the process.

Paulinus gathered men from the XX and the XIV together with all available auxiliary forces (10,000 men) and defeated Boudicia and the British forces (80,000 men) at the battle of Watling Street somewhere near Atherstone in Warwickshire. Gaius Suetonius Paulinus was later recalled by Nero due to extreme punitive reprisals against the tribes involved in the rebellion.

The Parisii - of East Riding area in Yorkshire, no King recorded. The territory was annexed in 62 AD.

The Novantae - of Cumberland, no King recorded.
Conquered and annexed in 62 - 63 AD.

  • A new Governor is appointed by Emperor Nero: Publius Petronius Turpilianus (62 - 63 AD). He was given the job of rebuilding after the rebellion of Boudicca. He held the post for one year and there are no achievements recorded.

At this time the Legions in Britain were reinforced by 9 auxiliary Legions from Europe

  • The last new Governor to be appointed by Emperor Nero: Marcus Trebellius Maximus (63 - 69 AD). A Romaniser of Britain re builder Camulodunum, and established the growth of trade in London.

67 AD Legion XIV was withdrawn as Britain was secure. Extra auxiliary Legions were sent from Europe.

  • A new Governor is appointed by Emperor Vitellius: Marcus Vettius Bolanus (69 - 71 AD). In 69 AD Legion XIV returned to Britain with the new Governor.

The Brigantes Queen Cartimandua; of Lancashire and part of Yorkshire.
This area was initially a client kingdom of Rome’s and regarded as friendly territory. Unrest started in 47 AD, and flared up in the area 13, after an auxiliary force defeated the second rebellion against Queen Cartimandua's rule. Queen Cartimandua was deposed and the kingdom and was given to Venutius who supported Rome. The northern Brigantes still opposed the Roman expansion and supported other members of the Brigantes royal family.

The Votadini - of Northumberland and Firth of Forth area, no King recorded. A group of tribes
Conquered and annexed.

The Selgovae - of Cumberland or the upper Tweed area, no King recorded. Conquered or annexed.

  • A new Governor is appointed by by the new Emperor Vespasian: Quintus Petillius Cerialis (71 - 74 AD). He returned with Legion II The Augusta and started operations to subdue the Brigantes establishing a base and settlement at York.
  • A new Governor is appointed by Emperor Vespasian: Sextus Julius Frontinus (74 - 78 AD). He subdued the northern Briganttes in 74 AD. He then completed the conquest of the Silures and other hostile tribes of eastern Wales in 77 AD, and founded the new base and town at Caerleon.

The Expansion of (78 - 84 AD).

Active Legions XX supported by Legion IX.

  • A new Governor is appointed by Emperor Titus: Gnaeus Julius Agricola14 (78 - 84 AD). As an ex commander of the Legion XX and the General that was responsible for much of the conquest of the island, he was used to life in Britain, he started by finally subduing Wales.

78 AD. The Ordovices in North Wales were finally conquered and occupied Anglesey. He strengthened Roman control in the north west of Britain with a series of forts.

The Northern Tribes

The Votadini - of Northumberland and Firth of Forth area, no King recorded. A confederation of tribes occupying the area relying on a system of hill forts that included Traprain Law
Conquered and annexed in 79 AD.

The Selgovae - of Cumberland or the upper Tweed area, no King recorded .
Conquered or annexed in 80 AD.

80 AD. Advanced into the south eastern Caledonia and reached the area around the river Tay.

80/81 AD. Advanced further into Caledonia and established Roman control north of the river Tay

81 - 84 AD. In 81 AD, he established Roman control with forts in a line from the river Clyde to the river Forth. 82 AD, advanced further into Caledonia reaching Ayrshire. 83 AD, the Inchtuthill legionary fortress was started and garrisoned by Legion XX, the first strong resistance from the Caledonians was in this year when the Legion IX were attacked, the Caledonians were driven off. 81 AD, the Romans reached the northern limit of their advance the Moray Firth. The battle of Mons Graupius15 between the Romans and the Caledonians, the Romans won this battle beating the Caledonian leader Calgacus and a force of 30,000. In 82 AD Agricola sent an expedition into Ireland but this appeared to be the limit of the Roman interest.

The unconquered tribes and territories

From 84 AD, the Romans withdrew south and by 100 AD, had established the frontier on the line of Hadrian’s Wall16 built by the Legion XX, Legion II and Legion VI. And in 142 AD, the frontier was moved north by 80 miles when the Antonine Wall was built by detachments of the VI Legion17. The Inchtuthill legionary fortress started in 83 AD, was never finished.

The following tribes were never conquered by the Romans the Venicones - of north west of Scotland, the Vacomagi - of north east of Scotland, the Taxali - of north east of Scotland and the Caledonii - of Caledonia. There no tribal rulers recorded for the northern tribes.


1Near Neuss.2The Twentieth Legion would be permanently stationed in Britain.3A legate was a general officer.

The senior officers were: Legates legionis, Praefectus Castro rum and Tribune.

The Junior Officer: was the Centurion.

The Junior Officers: Duplicarii and Sesquiplicari, Salararius, Triplicarius and Duplicarius. The best known of these officers was the Vexillum or Company Commander. The the company was named after vexillifer (company flag bearer) a Vexillation Fortress has been named after this company and its commander.

Lower Ranks: Immunis, Miles

and the un-trained ranks were Discens and Tiro.
4Caesar destroyed Ambiorix and the Eburones, in retribution for this.5 Legion XIV, and a vexilatio (company) of Legion XX Valeria, with Auxiliary forces6Father of the future Emperor Nero.7Poenius Postumius later killed himself as a result of this.8The typical strength of a legion was 4,200 to 5,500 men.9Or possibly near Southampton, in the territory of the Atrebates.10The campaign was notable for the use of elephants.11The Roman Governor required the tribe to hand in their weapons.12There are three Cornovii tribes listed The Midland Cornovii, The Cornwall Cornovii and the Scottish Cornovii in Caithness area.13And were finally pacified in 84 AD14There was a statue erected in his honour at Bath in 189415The exact location is unknown16The frontier was established on the line of the Stanegate Roman road, Hadrians wall was not built until 122 AD.17The Legion VI Victrix, the last legion to be stationed in Britain in 122 AD.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A22747935

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more