Mornington Crescent

7 Conversations

A History

Mornington crescent was invented in 220 BC by Xeno1, and the first recorded charity match took place between the Viking Gods and the Fenland Mountain Rescue later that year. Since then is has remained the favourite pastime of any intellect too vast to bother itself with 19-dimensional billiards. It's current popularity is due in no small part to the valiant2 efforts of the regular team members on BBCRadio 4's excellent antidote to panel games, I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue.

In the early games players had just to use snooker cues to flip playing cards over a pair of goal posts, trying to get them through a hoop and down a hole, whilst avoiding bunkers. By this means, players moved around a pitch marked with the London tube train stations, trying to block each other, and hence be first to land on Mornington Crescent.

However, many found this too simplistic, and in AD 134 the Roman emperor Nero made a decree, and thus came about the First Reformation. Later, the IMCS was set up, and to this day they publish a bi-monthly newsletter.

How to Play

The rules are a byword for simplicity and elegance, but an ancient tradition means that they must not be explained to anyone who plays at anything less than Grandmaster level, and should never even be mentioned to members of the public3.

The game is played on a modified monopoly board, using chess pieces, to rules that are a cross between poker, ice-hocky, and hop-skotch. A system of bidding similar to that in syncronised swimming allows it to be played for money.

All this becomes a lot clearer when you see it being played, and so even as you read this a team of dedicated players is working in the Forum to produce a fine example game. Eventually the colour coded results will be transcribed to the main body of this article with comments so that new players can see what is going on, including such areas of intrest as opening move study, defensive blocking, speed games, and nid attacks.

Another definition...



In the novels of Robert Rankin, Mornington Crescent is the location of the top secret headquarters of the Ministry of Serendipity.

And one further definition, whilst we're at it...



Mornington Crescent is the name of a station on the London Underground which was closed for an unbelievable amount of time4 for refurbishment. Now, Robert Rankin5 has his own explanation for this, but you need not worry - we shall not go into it here.
1The same philpsopher that proved that motion is impossible.2And in some cases, near fatal.3Although few players follow these archaic traditions.4In the order of 30 years.5See above.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A227594

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more