Word of the Week

1 Conversation

In the dim dark recesses of h2g2 history before we moved lock, stock and barrel to our new BBC home there used to be a front page feature The h2g2 Word of the Day. It was a way to highlight some of the lesser occurring or largely obscurer words in the English language. Sadly this feature was discontinued.

Until now...

Word for the Week

Some of you may have been suffering from Howard Dean's squealing after the Iowa caucus, or the rantings that erupted post-Hutton. Maybe you would appreciate this week's word suggested by AK only last week, though most of the time we find it a nuisance rather than a friend. However, to be fair, it was originally suggested on an A-Z list by Kandyman on 25 July 2000. This is the third word
from that list to be used.

Cerumen
n. A yellow waxy secretion from the glands of the external ear: Also known as earwax.

The wordsmiths of H2G2 have been shy in giving earwax an airing - or at least in calling it cerumen - as the only occurrence apart from its nomination for word of the day/week goes to Just Justin ACE in the World Trivia/General Knowledge Quiz on 17 February 2003. BTW congratulations to Hebe for knowing it was earwax.

Earwax is far more common and an easier-cop out from researchers. However, one honourable mention to 2legs for the following Haiku from the Haiku challenge:

Hearing getting hard

earwax is constant pain. So

serringe ears again.

From the Archive

Keeping up the idea of bodily excretions for this week's look into the archives is another word we know as something far more mundane.

Epistaxis
n. A Nose bleed

H2G2's search engine does not provide me with an easy answer as to who suggested this word for Word of the Day - it doesn't come up in search. The only occurrence that can be found of this word in all the reams of words we have written was by Dr WM on the subject of nose bleeds who detailed the full stages of dealing with epistaxis, no matter how persistent.

How can you contribute?

  1. Go and check out words in the archive to
    avoid duplication.
  2. Check out the discussion threads and nominate a word that you feel was overlooked before discontinuation.
  3. Suggest a new word or your forgotten word in the word of the week archive conversation.

The Word of the Week
Archive

Demon Drawer

12.02.04 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A2283257

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more