Edit English Chartered Markets: 4 The South

0 Conversations

The markets that are listed are the first established by charter in each county. The charter was usually granted by the monarch to a local noble, granting the right to hold a market in a specified place and upon particular day or day's. Many grants were given to formalise an existing(older) right to trade that may have pre-existed as far back as Roman times. For example a charter dated December 21st 1461, granting a market at Portsmouth in Hampshire.

The key date in this entry is 1200 AD, as this is the year of the grant of charter to Market Overton, this made the county of Rutland the last to have a chartered market established within its boundaries. This gives the trading position in England at this time, 134 years after the conquest and puts the kingdom in a position to exploit the coming growth in world trade.

There were two purposes of a market charter, first it formalised the market and made it hard for any rival market setting up close by. The charter did this by granting privileges to the town and the traders such as exemptions from tolls and taxes which any rival markets did not enjoy.

The Charter tax and toll exemptions that could be granted were;


Passage - The right to pass through the town and borough freely and without charge.

Pedage - A safe passage toll granting the entitlement to safe protected travel through the town.

Pontage - A local tax for bridge maintenance.

Payage - A payment allowed by charter where a peasant could make a payment (equal to a days pay) to his lord, instead of a days work on the lords land.

Stallage - The cost or rent for stall space at a market, and the right to put up a stall at the market.

Talage - A tax imposed by the king or lords, on towns or dwellings on their lands or private estates.

A town with a chartered market also benefited by having the ability to attract people to the town, and by a becoming a free borough, this in turn gave the town powers to hold a court, levy fines and create local laws. The area over which the towns powers extended was clearly defined, and this area was known as the borough.

Inspeximus and confirmation of Richard II's confirmation of a charter of Richard of Cornwall, granting the burgesses of Tintagel freedom from pontage and stallage throughout Cornwall, a market every Wednesday, and an annual fair for 3 days beginning on the vigil of St Faith.
From The Charter of Tintagel (Cornwall)1426

The southern counties, It is interesting to note that the southern counties seem to have had f peaceful transition after the Norman conquest all the towns have market charters that pre date the Conquest. The reason is that Normans required wealth from the new kingdom, and this area of southern England was the financial powerhouse. The North however was in a state of rebellion and in personal revenge of king William I for the slaughter of the army of an army of 700 men in Durham. This army led by Robert Comine was slaughtered by the inhabitants of the city, and a Northumbrian army they opened the gates to. In a fury of revenge William ordered the destruction of the lands between the cities of York and Durham. The destruction lasted for almost a year, it is estimated that 150,000 Inhabitants put to the sword. The land was laid waste and the survivors of the depopulation were reduced to virtual slavery.1. The year 900 AD, saw a new king Edward I the Elder 900 - 924 AD, was the year when most charters were granted the counties of Berkshire, Devonshire, Dorsetshire, Surrey, Sussex, Somerset and Wiltshire between them saw the grant of 20 market charters between them. This was part of the plan to consolidate the achievements of his father Alfred the Great and also to take back into his kingdom, all the Danish lands south of the Humber.

Essex:

The county entry.

The Market Town Chipping Hill. Est., 912.

The Town entry.

Hertfordshire:

The county entry.

The Market Town Hertford. Est., 912.

The Town entry.

Middlesex:

The county entry.

The Market Town London. Est., 650.

The Town entry.

Bedfordshire:

The county entry.

The Market Town Bedford. Est., 915

The Town entry.

Buckinghamshire:

The county entry.

The Market Town Buckingham. Est., 914

The Town entry.

Berkshire:

The county entry.

The Market Town Wallingford. Est., 900

The Town entry.

Herefordshire:

The county entry.

The Market Town Hereford. Est., 939.

The Town entry.

Gloucestershire:

The county entry.

The Market Town Gloucester. Est., 924.

The Town entry.

1Many townships had markets without the sanction of a charter

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A23564702

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more