Bougainvillea - A Brazilian Beauty Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Bougainvillea - A Brazilian Beauty

1 Conversation

Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea glabrais) is a Brazilian  beauty, and undoubtedly one of the most popular, spectacular and beautiful tropical plants. It is a member of the Nyctaginaceae (four o'clock) family, and is very vigorous, evergreen, versatile and unusual in many ways.

Tropical Paradise

If you dream of a romantic, exotic holiday in a tropical paradise, you will probably envisage yourself by a turquoise pool near an adobe building with verandas smothered in profusions of extravagant magenta purple blooms and deep luscious green vines.

History

Bougainvillea is indeed prolific in the South Pacific, and has been so for over 200 years. Indigenous to the Amazon biome in South America, it was discovered growing all over everything, clambering up the trees to the light. It was a botanist, Philibert Commerson, who found it while on a mission for the King of France in the 1780s, and very kindly named it after fellow shipmate, Mr Bougainville1.

Across the Globe

Since those early days, the bougainvillea has steadily made its way across the globe. The largest growth of bougainvillea in the United States is one planted at the turn of the last century by the Hamlin family in Glendorra, California. It is to be found on most continents now; outside if the climate is suitable, indoors if not. It is so well-loved that it is sometimes moved indoors and out with the seasons.

The Plants

The bougainvillea manifests as a tree, a shrub or a vine. It does equally well in a pot or a hanging basket. It flowers only on new shoots, therefore it thrives on being cut back hard. The flowers grow in tiny nondescript threesomes surrounded by flamboyant paper-like bracts. These bracts can be almost any colour, depending on the variety, ranging from pale peach through pink and orange to magenta, red and purple. The leaves are heart-shaped treasures, adding to the over-the-top gorgeousness of the plant.

Propagation

Outside its natural habitat it is sterile, therefore it can only be propagated from cuttings. It prefers pots because they protect its very fragile root system, and it bears no seeds. In its natural habitat, however, it seeds readily, despite being self-infertile. The bougainvillea mutates relatively readily, resulting in a number of varieties of all different shapes, sizes and colours.

Bougainvillea grows well from cuttings but needs warmth from the bottom to do best. The soil must be well-drained and fairly light. It is also important to remember always that transplanting is traumatic as the root system is very fine and delicate. It loves sunlight and flowers profusely for it. To discourage it from climbing, it is possible to secure the vines against a structure such as a trellis or bean pole. This will not stop the rambling but it will slow it down a little.

This is a hungry plant, requiring regular feeding. Hibiscus food works very well. Remember though, that this plant does best under stress, so restrict the roots in a well-drained pot and water sparingly for best results. Thankfully, this is an almost pest-free floriferous extravaganza, which makes having it as a housemate an even more attractive prospect.

1Louis Antoine de Bougainville was aide-de-camp to the French General Montcalm, and is reputed to be the first Frenchman to cross the Pacific.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Edited Entry

A23643191

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more