Billingshurst, West Sussex, UK Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Billingshurst, West Sussex, UK

4 Conversations

A small town1 sitting astride the A29 in West Sussex. The A29 dates from Roman times and is known as Stane Street. Stane Street, as it passes through Billingshurst, must rank as one of the least straight Roman roads in the country.

It has been said that Billingshurst got its name from the Roman engineer Belinus, whom was in charge of building Stane Street. This ran from Chichester to London, entering the latter at Billingsgate, which also got its name from the Roman engineer. However, several historians discount this as pure fabrication.

The town/village is well supplied with schools and sports facilities, but does not offer much for those dedicated to getting their pleasure without exerting themselves. The surrounding countryside is well worth a look if you like walking, giving a nice mixture of woodland and farms criss-crossed by public footpaths.

If you live in Billingshurst, it is best to have your own set of wheels, as public transport is not a well developed concept there.

Celebrities2 you might spot at the shops include:

  • Mike Read (the DJ, not Frank Butcher from Eastenders)
  • James Bolam ('Thou shalt have a fishy on a little dishy')
  • Phil Collins (although I think he might have moved)
  • Edward Enfield (Harry's dad)
  • Alvin Stardust
1It might just still qualify as a village, though.2And I use this word in the loosest possible way.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A240922

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more