Zero

1 Conversation

A digit, commonly represented as 0, that acts as a placeholder in positional notation. The importance of zero comes not from it symbolizing nothing, but from the fact that it enables positional notation to exist at all. Before we could develop a concept of a number being represented by numerals in the ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, and so on, it was necessary to come up with a numeral that could indicate that the given number did not partake of a particular place.

It is common to refer to zero as one of the "Arabic" numbers. However, the truth is a good deal more complicated than that. The ancient Babylonians, circa 1800 BCE, used a zero (two diagonal wedges in cuneiform) as part of their system of calculation. As they were working in base 60, this is a fairly impressive feat.

Some middle Americans had a zero as early as 1000 BCE, and the Chinese were using a zero in 400 BCE.

Hindu mathematicians were familiar with the zero by roughly 500 CE. Our western zero in fact descends directly from the Hindu zero, passed on by the Arabic mathematicians. The first European to advocate the use of zero in numeric notation was Abraham ben Meir ibd Ezra (1092-1167) in his Sfer H Mispar (The Book of the Number). He called it the Sifra, from which our modern word 'cipher' derives.

Regardless of its history, the zero is arguably the most important invention in the world. Without it, we would be unable to carry out the mathematics necessary for most other fields of technical endeavour.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A244739

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more