Vodka : A Users Guide

0 Conversations


There are a number of entries already on H2G2 regarding the production and history of vodka. This entry lists a number of different vodkas of interest, with a note as to what they are. There are too many vodkas in the world to provide a complete list, these vodkas are just an introduction into those available.


This guide entry, and the sites linked to herein, are only intended for readers in countries where the consumption of alcohol is legal, and where the readers are above the legal drinking age. Links are supplied where appropriate.

Drinking the vodka

These vodkas should not be mixed, keep your vodka in the freezer, and serve it ice cold, but not over ice. You are allowed to have a glass of water afterwards, but you should not introduce any mixers except where indicated.

Unflavoured vodka

Stolichnaya. Almost the national drink of Russia, the archetypical vodka, and should be tried by all vodka drinkers at least once.

Smirnoff. The European Smirnoff is fairly bland as far as vodkas go, instead try and find the Russian version, it has no connection except the name, and is marked "CMEPHOB" on the bottle.

Rain is an American vodka specially designed to be extremely smooth. Hard to find and expensive in Europe, it can be a bargain in the USA.

Skyy. Another extremely smooth American vodka, reportedly having fewer impurities than any other vodka.

Grey Goose from France is an expensive luxury vodka. An ideal present for the serious vodka drinker.

Brecon Vodka. Distilled by the Welsh Whisky company, Brecon Vodka is undoubtedly the finest vodka being produced in the British Isles, and stands up to any of the competition from around the world.

Ketel One. Another high class vodka, again specifically designed for smoothness, this time from Holland. Probably the best value of the luxury vodkas.

Finlandia. Unflavoured Finlandia is one of the best of "mass-market" brands. Finlandia is also available in lime and cranberry versions (both of which are excellent).

Flavoured vodka

Zubrowka. Each bottle of Zubrowka is flavoured with a blade of "bison grass", giving a peppery taste. A splash of apple juice is allowed as a mixer (this is called a "Tetanka", and gives a taste not unlike Earl Grey tea). One of the best vodkas in the world, and certainly the finest flavoured vodka.

Wyborowa. While the unflavoured version of Wyborowa is worth investigating, the brand really excels with the large number of flavours available, including not only the usual lemon and pepper, but also melon, orange and pineapple.

Smirnoff Berry. As already mentioned, the unflavoured Smirnoff may be a little bland, but the rarely seen "Smirnoff Berry" (look for the purple label) should be sought out.

Krupnik. Polish honey flavoured vodka with (as you'd expect) a smooth taste. This vodka can be served with hot water, lemon and cloves.

Bols Peach. This version of the popular Bols brand tastes almost the same as Peach Schnapps, but has an alcohol content of 40%.

Goldwasser. An acquired taste, this vodka contains flecks of real (23 carat) gold, and has a sweeter taste than you might imagine.

Jarzebiak. Flavoured with rowan berries, a flavour that complements the vodka better than many of the fruit flavours more commonly seen.

The Future Of Vodka

Vodka today does not always strip away the back of your thoat. The explosion of cheap and gimmicky vodkas has not masked the availability of vodkas of real quality becoming more readily available. Vodka has as much flavour and quality as whisky, but it also has the advantage that the very best vodkas are much less expensive than a whisky equivalent.

Further information is available at IVodka


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2469666

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more