Brief History of Modern Lithuania

0 Conversations

On February 16, 1918 Lithuania declared its independence following the aftermath of World War I. Lithuania was one of the many countries invaded by the Germans during the War. The Soviet Union recognized her indepence in the Treaty Of Moscow. When her independance was declared, the people of Lithuania's goal was to be a democratic and humanitarian nation. This dream was threatened from inside when an Ultra-Nationalist launched a military coupe against a newly elected left-wing party in 1926 and seized power.

As time went on, the Soviet Union kept an ever vigilant eye on the mounting threat from Germany under the Nazi party. In 1939, They convinced Lithuania to allow them the use of military bases to base Soviet troops. One year later, the Soviet Army actually invaded Lithuania and subjugated her into the Soviet Union. This begins one of the darkest phases of Lithuania's history. In 1941, under Soviet Rule, thousands of Lithuanians were deported to Siberia. That same year, Nazi Germany invaded Lithuania. Lithuania was once a major culture center for Eastern European Jews, and as could be expected, thousands of Lithuanian Jews were killed by the Nazis. In 1944, the Russian army returned, and the Nazis were driven from Lithuania. Unfortunately, Lithuania was now pretty much devastated by the war, and the Soviet Union continued to deport thousands. The USSR also dealt with resistance with force.

In 1988, a movement was founded to free Lithuania from Soviet rule and a huge illegal rally supporting this movement occured in the capitol, Vilnius. In 1989, the parliament declared Lithuanian souveriengty and in a surprise move, even Lithuania's communist party supported Lithuanian independence. In 1990, the independence movement won the majority of the seats in Parliament, and the USSR starts to embargo critical goods to Lithuania. Parliament suspends the declaration of indepence and agrees to talks with Moscow. In January, 1991, making no headway with these talks, the suspension of independence was cancelled, and massive Lithuanian pro-independence demonstrations occur in the streets of Vilnius. The Soviet army responds with tanks and fires into the crowds, killing 13 and injuring hundreds. In February, a referendum vote is won by a huge majority, seeking independence from the USSR. In September, the USSR is in turmoil after a failed coupe, and recognizes Lithuanian independance and Lithuanian joined the United Nations. Lithuania begins making peace and recognition treaties with her neighbors. In 1993, the last Soviet troops withdraw from Lithuania.

Since then Lithuania has had her share of economic hardships and political scandal, but maintains herself as a democratic republic. Now, she is a full member of NATO and is seeking membership to the European Union. Also, there are allied Lithuanian special ops soldiers working in Southern Afghanistan and even some Lithuanian soldiers have served alongside United States troops in Iraq. Though small and supposedly insignificant, Lithuania has come a long way in the world community.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2515312

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more