The Best Websites in the World

6 Conversations

Websites are the shop-front of the 21st Century. Every major business is busy buying up all the variations of its domain name and setting teams of pony-tailed programmers lose on their corporate identity. There are also individuals, unknown to the outside world, creating the most incredible web experiences who will become the corporate behemoths of tomorrow.

The time has now come for a vox pop of clued-up, switched on, Java enabled generation1. Thus, welcome to The Best Websites in the World list. As befits the guide this is an ever evolving list. Each site is listed below, sorted alphabetically, with a short description of who or what the site is and its URL underneath.

www.h2g2.com

Well, what can I say about this site. Possibly the most useful site ever, full stop, no discussion, but then you know that as you are here now. Anyway, for those who have got lost here is the link.

http://www.h2g2.com

www.eyestorm.com

Eyestorm are the first true on-line art dealership and it is their use of the medium that makes this site so special. Once the opening graphics have finished try 'delving' for art to see what real programmers can achieve.

http://www.eyestorm.com

www.upmystreet.com

Now this is an excellent site for those who are looking to move. Input your current postcode and the postcode of the area you are looking to move to, sit back and compare the results. You can look at how prices have changed over the last year, public services, schools rating, council performance, police efficiency and a host of other important factors.

http://www.upmystreet.com

webperf.net

Most of us join an Internet Service Provider (ISP) and do not change unless there is a very good reason. However, if you have ever wondered how good your ISP is then this is the site for you. It basically ranks the main players every month and there is a handy facility for comparing one against another. However, you may need to check who is hosting your ISP through http://www.nicnames.co.uk.

http://webperf.net

1This is you by the way!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A255250

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more