Head Hunters - the Funk Album Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Head Hunters - the Funk Album

3 Conversations

To most people, headhunters are those people who snatch talented employees from one job, to find them more stimulating employment elsewhere. The educated minority, of course, understands that Head Hunters is an unparalleled musical experience. Head Hunters is the archetypical funk album, and the prototype for modern, less euphonic 'hip-hop' music.

Recorded in late 1973 (ah yes, 1973), the album brought together some of the most talented young musicians to create a unique sound that has never been duplicated. From the original multi-layered beats of Harvey Mason to the exploratory rhythmic patterns of prodigal Herbie Hancock, Head Hunters stands alone as a masterpiece of funk.

While the album has enjoyed popularity all over the planet (it is the best-selling jazz album in history), its influence on modern hip-hop is largely ignored. If you feel left out, grab the album at your local record shop.

The best song on the album is the magnificently simple 'Chameleon', which is 15 minutes of pure creativity (unlike other artists of the 1970s, Herbie Hancock understood the concept of excess, particularly when drumming).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A260263

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more