THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER

0 Conversations

The Complete Guide To
Buffy
the Vampire Slayer

The Movie

In 1992 a new movie hit our cinema screens called 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer'. Starring Kristy Swanson as a young girl named Buffy Summers who to her complete suprise was called as a chosen one, a vampire slayer by a man named Merrick (played by Donald Sutherland)who later became known as her watcher. Buffy was just an ordinary school girl with ordinary problems until the day came that Merrick told her that she was a vampire slayer, the only vampire slayer infact and that it was her calling the save the world from vampires. She took to this calling quite well once she had passed the disbelief and denial and with the help of a bad boy named Pike (played by Luke Perry) she managed to rid her town of a big bad vampire named Lothos (played by Rutger Hauer) and his sidekick Amilyn (played by Paul Reubens).

This movie never made it as a box office hit as (much to writer Joss Whedon's dissapointment) the end product was not what he had originally visioned for the movie. The director Fran Rubel Kuzui had visioned a lot more light-hearted teen flick, so the script was re-written. As Joss was still just a writer, the final edit was not up to him and due to his respect for the Director he made no attempt to stand up for his original script.

Instead he waited until he was standing firm in the entertainment industry as a writer and a director 5 years later and in March 1997 released the biggest hit to ever reach our television screens Buffy The Vampire Slayer-The TV Series. Written in the style of his original movie script, Joss brought us a television series that would last for 7 full seasons, plus a spin-off, countless books, monthly magazines, music from the show, collector items and so much more, leaving his millions of fans all around the world still wanting more and waiting patiently for his next spectalur idea or spin off.

Click here to say goodbye to Buffy and Angel and pay your respects on these two amazing shows

The TV Series

Joss wasted no time with the pilot episode, the very first scene to air was that of a vampire attack, which unexpectadly was of a female vampire attacking a school boy rather than the other way around and the action did not stop there. The pilot episode 'Welcome To The Hellmouth' immediatly focussed on a big bad that was about to rise in Sunnydale. And there became the start of the next 7 years for Buffy Summers (played by Sarah Michelle Gellar)Vampire Slayer

The Writers

However genius he may be, Joss could not have done it alone. Alongside him in the travel towards producing the next big TV hit were some extremley brilliant and very talented co-writers such as, Marti Noxon, Dana Reston, David Greenwalt, Rob des Hotel, Dean Batali and many many more, who contributed on many of the brilliant stroylines and helped Joss make the show what it is today.

Click here to see the full list of writers and directors on the show

The Cast

But most of all the crowd that really brought it all together for him in this superb litlle gift wrapped package was the fabulous and amazingly talented cast of the show. These actors are what brought the show to life and even though the industry may not have noticed them to much, I can tell you that I and many other fans around the world believe that each and evry one of that stars deserves an oscar. To be able to create such a wide aray of persona's and heart-breakingly moving scenes at such young ages is quite an achievmenmt.

Click here to read some of the amazing scenes created by these writers and actors

Sarah Michelle Gellar who played Buffy for instance has worked so hard for the show over the years, mentally and physically, getting battered and bruised doind various stunts (even though advised against it).

Alyson Hannigan who played Willow is the most amazing actress I've ever come across, her ability to play any kind of Willow imagined and to make it believable is just genius.

Nicolas Brendon who played Xander brings such a quality of humour to the show, that no matter how dark the storyline gets, that man can deliver an amazingly hilarious joke or remark wothout in a crinkle in his face to indicate a smile on its way.

James Marsters who played Spike One of my personal favorites. He was only brought into the show for a few episodes as Joss had no long-term plans for Spike's character. But after seeing how James turned him into such a deep, immense and very funny character that Joss just had to keep him and that he did right up till the end of the show. James brought such magic to the show with his performance that made him just lovable even when he was evil. And then even after they had killed him off the show they couldn't bare to let him go, so they brought him back to life in the Buffy spin-off 'Angel' to do just one more season for them.

Anthony Stewart Head who played Buffy's watcher Giles brought us the amazing charisma that was the bookworm watcher/father figure and each performance was superbly done and extremley original. I dont think any other actor in the world could play Giles quite like Tony Head did.

David Boreanaz who played Angel brought his own character to life with his amazing talent for acting all tortured and broody one minute and then all evil and torturous the next, he gave us some brilliant performances that we will never forget. He then became a star in his own right, so rather than squash his potential Joss game him his very own starring role in the spin-off series 'ANGEL' which also ended up being a huge sucess.

Amber Benson who played sweet little witch Tara is just wonderful in her role.

Eliza Dushku who played Faith, brought such character and depth to her character that it was hard to see the actress behind the charcter that she had made so real.

Emma Caulfield who played ex-demon Anya also gave an excellent performance each and every time.

Seth Green who played that lovable warewolf that was Willows boyfriend Oz never have I seen an actor say so much with so little lines.

Charisma Carpenter who played the role of Cordelia the character we'd all love to hate. The life she gave to her character was so good that she was also offered a main role along side David Boreanaz in the spin-off 'Angel' after leaving Buffy in season three.

Michelle Trantenburg who played Dawn little sis to the slayer, also gave some outstanding performances in her short amount of time with the show.

Click here to see a full list of Buffy and Angel Fan Mail Addresses

Summery Of The Show

Now I know it is probably impossible to summerise 7 years of a show that has such intricate and weird storylines and even weirder characters but I'm going to give it a go.

The shows see's Buffy through both school and college right up into adulthood, facing countless demons, vampires and other such nasty's. Several apocolipses and some very wierd and strange relationshops, both good and bad. The show follows her life and the lives of all her firends aswll as deaths, the problems they face with not only evil but adolecence aswell, it focus's on many teenage problems that kids face today and address many of them in the best way they know how, with monsters. its a fantastic show and I'm so glad I was lucky enough to watch it right from the very beginning to the very end.

Click here to read the more indepth season guides

The characters

BUFFY - Buffy moved to Sunnydale with her mum Joyce Summers after an insident with vampires got her expelled from her last school in LA and her parents split up. The first person Buffy met was Cordelia Chase, who was Sunnyadle's high Miss Popular, who soon realised there was something weird about Buffy and started calling her a freak. She first met Willow whilst Cordelia was in bullie mode and picking on her which Buffy didnt like so she went and introduced herself and asked to be study budies, they've been best friends ever since....More

GILES - Giles attended a Oxford University in England where he met Ethen Rayne and started dabbling in the black arts, this is where he aquired the nickname "Ripper". Whilst going through this bad phase Giles and some friends called a Demon which resulted in the death of one of his friends. This demon was killed back then and came after him later on.....More

WILLOW - Willow first met Buffy when Buffy approached her for help with study as Willow was a bit of a school nerd and computer freak. They have since become great friends. Willow's best friend is Xander who she has known since kindergarten and was also inlove with for quite some time until she realised Xander had feelings for Buffy and saw her as no more has a friend even though they dated when they were five lol. Because of this Willow was very vunerable and was targeted by a demon called Mallok through the internet but Xander and Buffy came to her rescue just in time. Willow is the scooby's researcher and internet hacker and has been most useful in many situations.....More

XANDER - Alexander Lavelle Harris otherwise known as Xander was brought up in Sunnydale alongside long-term best friend Willow. He lives in his mum's basement for which he actually pays rent for lol. Xander likes to be the joker of the group, the funny one with all the sarcastic remarks which I think is just to cover up his feelings. During the first series Willow was mad about Xander but he only had eyes for Buffy, until Buffy went away for the summer in series one and Willow and Xander nearly shared a kiss but they were interupted by a vampire and the return of Buffy.....More

ANGEL - Angel was born in the ninteenth century in Ireland he was a drunk and a womaniser. In 1753 he was turned into a vampire by Darla. He killed his family and then the two of them travelled Europe causing havock and death wherever they went. Until he ended up in Romania where he killed a girl from a gypsy family and was punished by the girls family, they put a curse on him to give him back his soul , so that he would know and feel the pain he has caused over the years but if he ever found true happiness he would loose it again and return to evil. Angel first saw Buffy when she was first called in LA but he didn't actually meet her until she arrived in Sunnydale. He kept his distance at first and just played the part of a friend and source for information....More

SPIKE - Spike otherwise known as William the Bloody came to Sunnydale in season 2 just after the death of the Master, with girlfriend Drucilla. He offered to kill the slayer for the annointed one but failed so instead he killed the annointed one. Spike is 200 years old even though he tells everyone he's only 126. He got the nickname Spike because he used to torure his victims using railway spikes. Spike has killed two slayers, one of which was the mother of someone who comes after him in season 7. After Spike and Drucilla take the place of the annointed one as leaders of the underground, Spike tries to kill Buffy but fails everytime. Spike eventially leaves Sunnydale after helping Buffy kill Angelus, as he made a deal with her to let them go. He returns in season 3 when Drucilla dumps him for a kaos demon....More

TARA - Tara first came into Buffy in series Four, 'Hush', when she met Willow at Sunnydale UC, whilst both attending the same wicca meeting. The two of them started doing spells together and became very good friends, after a while it turned into a lot more than a friendship as the two of them share a kiss. Tara is a very shy girl also very quiet, she doesnt meet the rest of the gang until later on but unfortunatley she meets Faith in Buffy's body and was treated very badly, but she knew something was wrong because she can read aura's. She eventially does get to meet the real Buffy and is treated much nicer. After a while she started joining the scooby meetings and became a part of the gang....More

OZ - Daniel, better known as Oz first came into Buffy in series 2 'Inca Mummy Girl, where he was playing in his band 'Dingoes Ate My Baby' at the Bronze. This is where he first notices Willow and is stunned by her. He saw her again in 'Halloween' and wonders who she is. He finally gets to meet her when two mysterious computer guys try to recruit the both of them at the career fair in 'Whats my Line' They finally get to talking and start dating not long after that, he takes it very slow though as he can see she still had feelings for Xander. Oz then finds out he is a warewolf in 'Phases' and Willows see's him change, even though a bit scared at first, she tells him she still wants to be with him anyway and the two get together officially....More

FAITH - Faith first came to Sunnydale in season 3 after her watcher was killed by an old vampire she couldnt handle. She had heard of Buffy and the two of them faught and dusted him together. The they both carried on fighting well along side each other until one day Faith accidently killed the Deputy Mayor, thinking he was a vampire. All would have been ok if she had just gone to the watcher's council about it, but she didnt want to admit she had done anything wrong so instead she covered it up and then tried to blame Buffy for it. During this time Faith was having a slight sexual fling with Xander but all got out of hand when she nearly killed him and probably would have done if Angel hadnt walked in....More

ANYA - Anya also known as Anyanka the vengence demon also previously known as Aud when she was human, first came into the seires in series 3 'The Wish' when she grants a wish for Cordelia, creating a paralelle universe in which Buffy never came to Sunnydale. Because her wish was broken and amulate destroyed she was fired and forced to live as a mortal again. She wasnt happy about this and tried to get Willow to help her get it back but it didnt work, fortunatley....More

DAWN - Dawn Summers otherwise known as Lil bit was first sent to Sunnydale as a mystical key in the form of a human in season 5. She was sent to Buffy as a sister in order to protect her. She had a major crush on Xander for a while and then later on turning her attentions towards Spike, who she started hanging out with a lot. It was with Spike she first found out she was the key, when they broke into the magic shop and read Giles's journal. She was in a right mess after this and even cut herself in order to make sence of the not being human thing. Dawn went through a really bad time after this, first finding out her mother had a brain tuma and loosing her....More

RILEY - Riley first came into the programme in season 4 under the pretence of a sociology intern, he starts to grow an attraction for Buffy soon after they met, when she dropped some boks on his head lol. They finally start chatting after Riley stopped fumbling over his words. Soon it is revealed that Riley is really a soldier working for a secret goverment agency called the 'Initative'. When he gets his ass kicked by Buffy on an assignment....More

CORDELIA - Cordelia has been in the show right from the first episode, when she met Buffy and welcomed her with open arms (when she thought Buffy was cool). Cordy is a major popular, self-centered socialite who's greatest enjoyment was to verbally torture anyone that she felt wasnt up to her social standards. She soon relised that Buffy wasnt all she seemed and started calling her a freak, especially when she saw Buffy hanging out with Willow who Cordy had picked on for years. She started hanging out with the scoobies when weird things started happening to her, but it was only with thought for her own saftey....More

WESLEY - Wesley first came to Sunnydale in season 3 sent by the Watchers Council to be Buffy and Faith's new watcher. The scoobies didn't welcome him all that well as they were not at all fond of the Watcher's Council anyway and Wesley was a major bookworm, his favorite being the 'rule book'.This caused major problems when he learned of Faith killing a man , insted of letting Buffy deal with it her way, he ran back to the Watcher's Council and told them....More

More Characetrs

Overview

Buffy moved to Sunnydale with her mum Joyce Summers after an insident with vampires got her expelled from her last school in LA and her parents split up.
The first person Buffy met was Cordelia Chase, who was a miss popular complete bitch lol who soon realised there was something weird about Buffy and started calling her a freak. She first met Willow whilst Cordelia was in bitch mode and picking on her which Buffy didnt like so she went and introduced herself and asked to be study budies, they've been best friends ever since. The first time she met Xander he was all googly-eyed over her and kept making a fool of himself it was quite funny. Then she met Giles who she thought was just a librarian until he dumped a book on vampires in front of her. She ran a mile because she thought she had escaped that life, but when mystery man Angel told her of a great evil coming to Sunnydale she did not ignore her destiny for long. The evil that Angel had told her about was The Master who was intent on rising to create destruction on earth, which he suceeded in doing twice, once in "Nightmares" when a little boy called Billy was trapped in the nightmare world and everyones dreams came true and Buffy's Nightmare was the master rising and becoming a vampire when he bit her but all returned to normal once Buffy helped Billy overcome his fears. The second time he rose Buffy finally managed to defeat him but not before he bit her and killed her luckily Xander and Angel arrived in time to revive her. Buffy left to go to LA for the summer to stay with her Dad. When she returned she was a bit messed up over Angel and started acting very out of character but not for long as she worked through her troubles and the two of them got together at long last.

Because Buffy died for a few minutes a new slayer was sent called Kendra which Buffy was not pleased about at all as Kendra critized her ways and was getting very chummy with Giles and she tried to kill Angel, but they do become friends after a while as Kendra helps her to defeat the Order. All goes very well between Buffy and Angel until she slept with him and because of the curse Angel lost his soul again because he reached true happiness and Angelus returned. This devistated Buffy and she was finding it very hard to cope until Kendra returned and helped again but unfortunatley Kendra was killed by Drucilla and Giles kidnapped so Buffy went after Angel and they fought she finally killed him but not before Willow had restored his soul ubfortunatley Angel had to die nevertheless to close the vortex. Spikes helping hand in the killing of Angel allowed him to skip town with Drucilla unharmed after making a deal with Buffy. After this Buffy could take no more and ran away from Sunnydale and changed her name to Anne.

When Buffy returns to Sunnydale a new slayer arrives called Faith, the two of them fight well side by side and become a great team until Faith kills a man by mistake and turns to the dark side Buffy tried to get her back but it was too late the guilt had already eaten her up and she had become the mayor's number one helper in the accension and she tried killing Angel which resulted in Buffy putting her in a coma. Buffy managed to stop this accension as the whole school pulled together and helped. Se blew up the mayor along with Sunnydale High.

In season4 Buffy starts college, where she meets Riley who she thinks is an ordinary Joe but actually turns out to be a soldier working for a secret goverment operation called "The Initative" who were intent on capturing vampires and demons to experiment on, One of which was Spike. Also Rileys boss created a mean creature called Adam who buffy had to defeat also.

In season 5 once only child Buffy suddenly aquired a sister named Dawn who was soon explained when a monk told Buffy she was a mystical key sent to buffy to protect it. Buffy had a very hard time this season Riley left and her mum died of a brain tuma and Glory the hell god managed to get her hands on Dawn and the only way to save Dawn was for Buffy to jump in the porthole herself and she died.

In season 6 Willow brings Buffy back from the dead which Buffy finds hard to deal with seeing as she was pulled out of heaven then had to dig herself out of her own grave. She wasnt herself for quite a while after that she did manage to put it behind her though with the help of her friends. Spikes crush on Buffy had now turned into love and theyre friendship grew into a sexual relationship which Buffy was disgusted about she hated the fact that she could be attracted to and care about evil. Willow started to get addited to magic after hanging out with Amy and she got hooked on the dark stuff it wasnt until she put Dawns life at risk, she realised something was wrong and seeked the gangs help to quit. All went terribly wrong when Tara was killed and Willow turned to the black arts and even turned against Buffy and all of her friends. She got so powerful and went on a vengence trip after Tara's killer, Warren and then tried to end the world until Xander and Giles stopped her.

Spike then returns in seaon 7 but with a new little goody, a soul. But then is manipulated into turning evil again by a song that triggered his anger by the new big evil "The First" who is out to rid the world of every single potential slayer and open the hellmouth. Spike manages to overcome the first's control over him by resolving issues he had with his mother. Faith returns to Sunnydale to help Buffy train the potential slayers and fight The First. Then the principle who is the son of the slayer Spike killed came after him looking to cut his head off, but Buffy saves him. Buffy's feeling towards Spike had grown since he regained his soul and she actually started to love him, but he died before anything could come of it, trying to save her and the rest of the world. He died a hero, a true champion!

Related Pages

THE SLAYER HANDBOOK
SLAYER SLANG DICTIONARY
BUFFY HISTORY
CAST BIRTHDAYS
BUFFY QUOTES
ONCE MORE WITH FEELING LYRICS
VAMPIRES
DEMONS
MONSTERS
VILLANS
WITCHES AND MAGIC
PROPHECIES
RITUALS
SPIRITS AND HIGER BEINGS
MYSTICAL ITEMS
THE HELLMOUTH EFFECT
TOP 20 BEST BUFFY SCENES
BUFFY STARS - LIFE BEFORE BUFFY
BUFFY STARS - LIFE AFTER BUFFY

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A2705113

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more