Being a movie extra.

3 Conversations

If the idea of holding a regular job is simply too taxing for you, you may wish to invest some time and money (ranging from about $20 to $150 in sign up fees ) in becoming a "background actor," or, in common parlance, an extra. You will make approx. $46 a day. You will receive a voucher that will be your paycheck in about a week's time.



What is an extra?

Extras are those people you see sitting in restraunts in movies who have nothing to do with the actual story. They are, as Alfred Hitchcock once put it, breathing props.



So what's first?


p>The first thing you will learn as an extra is how to wait. I highly reccomend that you bring one or more of the following:


-a book


-a deck of cards


-a walkman


-a knitting project


-your unfinished, working, to-scale model of the interior of a nuclear submarine.


You will get lots of use out of them.


Do I get special Privilages?

The second thing you will learn as an extra is "bumps." Bumps are when you get an extra amount of money above and beyond your $46 a day. For example: If you bring your own clothes, you get paid for every outfit they ask you to wear. If they keep you 5 minutes after they are supposed to break for lunch, you get paid an addtional $5 every ten minutes until you are released. If they have smoke or loud noises on the set, you get $15. And so on. If you ever have any questions about bumps, ask another extra what's up. They will answer you. Loudly. And for a long time.



The third thing you will learn is the pecking order. You will know who the 1st and 2nd A.D. are, who the props man is, who does costumes, etc.


WARNING!!! IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, MAKE SMALL TALK WITH THE STARS OR DIRECTOR OF A MOVIE.
They will despise you for being more intelligent than they are and have you blacklisted.1 The only time it's ok for you to talk to anyone important is if they talk to you first. And even then, keep your answers to one syllable grunts. Some sets even have rules that you can't make eye contact with certain stars.


So where should I work?

The fourth thing you will come to understand is what shows are good to work for and which ones to avoid like a highly specific and instantaniously fatal cancer. After over a year of my own research and the continuing research of others, I have compiled a list of all the shows which I think are the ones to work on, and which are the ones to avoid. There are many factors in this decision, and please keep in mind that these are strictly my opinions, based on my sole experience. They bear no reflection on the quality of a show2. Here they are, in no particular order:



GOOD SHOWS:


Friends
Dharma and Greg
Sister, Sister
Star Trek: Voyager
Martial Law
Beverly Hills, 90210
City af Angels (I just adore the second on this show, she's a total sweetie...)
Diagnonsis: Murder
SportsNight
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Almost any feature length movie


BAD SHOWS:
The Pretender
ER 3
Buddy Farrow
Action
The Practice
Becker
Charmed
Any Talk Show as an Audience Member (ie. Leeza, Sally Jessie, etc.)
Almost any feature length movie


Movies are good fun, but long hours.

As you can see, the movies are a grab bag. They can range from an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime thing, (such as having Jim Carrey asking you to sing Bohemian Rhapsody to a crowd of 500 {True story}) or to a day that you probl'y just shoulda stayed in bed. (Like running away from fake gunfire while a helicopter hovers feet above you head and Ahnold having a fist fight with a poorly paid stuntman just inches in front of you, at 3 in the morning. {Also true.})4

Every once in a while, you will be asked to remove you clothes for money. You always have the right to say no. If you are male, this can include pants and/or boxers. If you are female, this generally just means going topless, although I have heard of full frontal, but never seen it happen.



Also, there will be times when you have to be covered in water, mud, dust, thick makeup, hot clothes in the middle of summer, skimpy clothes in the dead of winter and, quite possibly, even jello and catsup to simulate wounds. Whatever you do, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR MAKEUP!!!


If you are really successful as an extra, you will be given a SAG5 voucher. They are the union vouchers, and are worth $90 a day. Keep in mind, however, that once you have three union vouchers, you are considered a "must join" and surprisingly, must join the union before you get any more vouchers. The dues to sign up with SAG in Southern Californina are $1192.006 and then any subsequent dues once a year thereafter, depending on how much you work. Also, in order to join the union, you must have a completely unique name from anybody else in the union. That's why Tommie Lee Jones is Tommie Lee Jones instead of Tom Jones.

So there you are. A couple of quick handy rules to remember when trying to achieve stardom in the fast lane. See ya in the Movies!!

1You laugh, but I've seen it happen...2Some of these shows have been or will be cancelled.3I was surprised myself at the level of suckiness with which the ER cast and crew treated extras. However, I worked on it shortly after Clooney had left, so that may have had something to do with it...4There are those who think that the opposite of what I think is true, but, different strokes...5SAG = Screen Actors Guild6I've been told that they are less elsewhere

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A272891

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more