Escape Pod Dreams - 152

0 Conversations

The AK-47 Issue

The New New blob

Oh, no, he's got an AK-47! We're all gonna die!

Twenty years on, articles are still appearing in the Associated Press in Amurrica claiming that 'high-powered assault rifles' are filling the hands of bad guys and public safety will be threatened unless the police have similar weapons. Same old pucky. Of course, the fact that a U.S. law banning several forms of 'assault weapons' is about to expire doesn't help the hysteria, particularly when the reporters and editors believe what they write. One of the first fictional movies to feature AK-47s was a little thing starring Sylvester Stallone, the sequel to the first Rambo movie, 'First Blood'. Common sense and time have obliterated the name of the sequel from my memory. It was soon after the release of this violent epic that legislatures began throwing fits about the lethality of the nasty and evil 'assault rifle'. And that was the first that many of the public had ever heard of it.

The New New blob

More reasons why things that go bang frighten people more than things that go bump.

1. 8:57 AM
symbols and stupidity
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

2. 9:57 AM
Not invented here
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

3. 10:57 AM
A bit of oversimplification
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

4. 11:57 AM
Mummy, what is that on that flag?
by
Your Other Right Foot (appearing nightly without warning)

The New New blob

The Escape Pod Dreams Archive

TonsilRevenge

04.10.07 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A27495075

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more