Tractor Pulls Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Tractor Pulls

2 Conversations

Tractor pulls are a uniquely American experience, an indirect consequence of this country's policy of paying farmers not to grow food to keep prices up. These farmers, thanks to these subsidies, have a tremendous amount of farm equipment, an entire workshop of tools to fix them, and far too much time on their hands.

Tractor pulls are where these farmers get together and show off how powerful they've made their tractor, while waiting to use it for something important. The competition consists of seeing how far each tractor can pull a trailer full of weight. These trailers come in all shapes and sizes, with wheels and without. The tractors always compete on a dirt track which allows the traction to be lowered by the addition of water or loose dirt as the tractors get farther from the starting line. This is essential, because otherwise any tractor that could pull the trailer, could pull it the entire distance.

These pulls are held at every rural county fair, and attract the type of spectator who actually cares whose sheep takes first place in the livestock show this year. You'll pay for the whole seat, but you'll only need the edge.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A281594

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Edited by

h2g2 Editors

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more