SETI: a guide to SETI, in and out of h2g2 [under construction--come back later]

3 Conversations

SETI<br/>
Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence

What is SETI?

S.E.T.I. is the "Search for Extraterrestial Intelligence".



"Many of us dream of one day meeting up with a (friendly) alien race. Much could be learned and discovered about each other. What are we doing right now to make this happen?



If we assume that our alien neighbors are trying to contact us, we should be looking for them. We are currently engaged in several programs that are now looking for the evidence of life elsewhere in the cosmos. Collectively, these programs are called SETI (the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence.)"

-from 'About SETI'



Follow these links for more background, some absoluetly gorgeous candid shots of various parts of universe...and some perfectly normal pics of some of the scientists working on SETI. Plus RealMedia interviews, an' allkinda other stuff.


About SETI
SETI: The Radio Search
SETI: Links to other interesting sites

What is SETI@home?

"SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data."


What do h2g2 Researchers have to do with SETI?

The search for intelligent life in the universe is one that seems just the thing for Guide Researchers to be involved in. Since this kinda search has proved to be somewhat difficult on THIS planet, we might have more luck helping the SETI team search elsewhere.



One of our intrepid researcher, Hardback, has created a SETI Group 'specially for all Guide Researchers who would like to take part. If you would like to join this group you can take part in the search for intelligent life in the universe AND also be credited for your work as part of the h2g2 Researchers' Group.


Wanna join SETI?

Wanna have your SETI contributions credited to the h2g2 Researchers SETI Group?


There are two things involved.
One, you hafta go to the SETI site and register, downloat their software, and start processing data. Go the the SETI@home site to learn how to do it. You can use just about any kinda computer: UNIX/LINUX, Mac, Windows.


Two, you can then either work by yourself, or contribute your efforts to a SETI group. What difference does it make to the SETI project? None. The data gets processed either way. What difference does it make to you? None, really. Your data still is recorded for you as an individual. Why join a group then? Cause it's FUN!!!! Cause it's competetive! And cause you can join with friends and see how much processing time the group can 'rack up' together. Oh, and sometimes interesting, well-known people join...



There are SETI groups that have been formed by elemtary schools, businesses, universities, organizations and clubs, and other special interest groups. There is a SETI group called h2g2 Researchers. This is the group that Hardback created. Many of your h2g2 friends are part of this group, 55 right now, including Peta, Bruce, Anna, and someone called DNA...

A directory of SETI information in h2g2


These listings include all Guide entries found in a h2g2 search for 'SETI', as of March 25, 2000. For a current list, just search the Guide for SETI.

I am working hard!
The Observatory
If you build it They will come...
The Drake Equation Calculator
SETI History
SETI
Here we go again
SETI
Why hello
Red Pen
Kendrek's Home Page
It's that ffmike person again
X Marks the Spot!
Nasa
Recommended Guide Entries
Welcome to the world of emerald citizen.
The ZZ9PluralZAlpha SETI group
Project SETI
Non sum pisces, magister mundi sum!!!
TEST PAGE
SETI @ home - Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence
View Halloo to all you travellers in reality!! Woof Woof!
Seti
bluDragon's home in the goo
Thumb A Ride with SETI
Old front page
Jarak at home
Davros Writes . . .
Meet the H2G2 Researchers for SETI@home
SETI
Blip as in SETI
[no name]
Seti@home
S.E.T.I.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A286210

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more