Musical Games

8 Conversations

This page is in the experimental stage. There may be some suggestions of games to play elsewhere, some actual games to play online here or the whole project may simply fall into disuse. To start things off though ...

Cryptic Clues

Just like crossword ones but with a musical theme and without the whole numbered grid and crossing of words thing! :-D Some clues may be very easy while others are harder. Note that foreign names may have more than one legitimate transliteration into English letters. Note also that just because someone has given an answer to a clue it doesn't necessarily mean they got it right. So if you have a different answer, don't be put off from posting it.

Musical Hangman

This could be played the normal way but with musical terminology and names. Or it could be played with musical themes by guessing the notes (A to G), including any sharp or flat modifier (or even double-sharp and double-flat) but not duration, bar-lines or rests (unless rests turn out to be a worthwhile thing to explicitly include).

One obvious, but not essential (nor even possible for traditional stuff), restriction is that the tune be in its original key. In any case, the notes must form a consistent key to be fair (eg no mixing up G# and Ab). An option for making the game harder would be only showing the first unseen occurance of any guessed note rather than all of them at once.

12345678910




¯¯¯¯

|
|
|
¯¯¯¯
____
|
|
|
¯¯¯¯
____
|/
|
|
¯¯¯¯
____
|/ b
|
|
¯¯¯¯
____
|/ b
| /
|
¯¯¯¯
____
|/ b
| /|
|
¯¯¯¯
____
|/ b
| /|\
|
¯¯¯¯
____
|/ b
| /|\
| /
¯¯¯¯
____
|/ b
| /|\
| / \
¯¯¯¯

Collective Blues

... or any other song form really. It's just that blues probably lends itself particularly well to the piling on of increasingly bizarre lyrics. Everybody sing after me now:

smiley - whistlesmiley - musicalnote"I woke up this morning ..."

The Mystery Of The Missing Middle

The challenge is to identify a well-known melody from a skeletal accompaniment (which isn't the original one, could be surrounding the absentee melody in any fashion and might even be contrapuntal so that it appears to stand as a tune in its own right).


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A30745352

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more