How to Cook Tangy Chicken Fajitas Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

How to Cook Tangy Chicken Fajitas

0 Conversations

The word fajita comes from the Spanish for 'strip'. Fajitas are therefore marinaded chicken strips.

This recipe effectively requires you to make four different dishes: the tangy chicken, the spicy tomato salsa, the guacamole, and the vegetables. The ingredients are listed below.

The amounts shown in this recipe should produce enough food for 3 - 4 people.

Tangy Chicken

  • 500g chicken breast1
  • 2 - 3 red chillis2
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1.5 cubic centimetres of grated ginger
  • Black pepper
  • Juice of several limes
  • Chinese five-spice

Spicy Tomato Salsa

  • 3 medium-sized tomatoes
  • 3 - 4 spring onions
  • 1 - 2 red chillis
  • 3.5cm of a cucumber
  • 3 large pieces of sun-dried tomatoes
  • Fresh coriander
  • Black pepper
  • Juice of one lime
  • Salt

Guacamole

  • 2 ripe medium-sized avocado pears3
  • 1 onion
  • 3 green chillis
  • Juice of 1 - 2 limes
  • Black pepper
  • Salt

Vegetables

This list is not definitive: any vegetable can go in here.

  • 1 red pepper
  • 1 yellow pepper
  • 1 carrot
  • 1 white onion
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 red chilli
  • 1 green chilli
  • Soy sauce

You will also need:

  • Tortilla wraps4
  • Soured cream
  • JalapeƱo peppers
  • Salad5
  • Cheese

Method

The first step is to prepare the chicken; ideally this should be done the evening before.

  1. Cut all the chicken into thick strips, roughly about 4cm long and 1.5cm wide and deep. Then cover the chicken thoroughly in five-spice.

  2. Next, chop the chillis very finely into little cubes and pour on to the chicken. Crush the garlic, add the ginger and mix the whole thing with your fingers to ensure that this is all evenly spread over the chicken.

  3. Place in a container and add enough lime juice to submerge everything.6 Then refrigerate and allow to marinade.

The following morning you should prepare the salsa and guacamole:

  1. For the salsa you should separate out one third of the ingredients (all of the coriander, lime juice, salt and pepper) and place in a food processor or blender to liquefy. The remaining ingredients should be chopped coarsely into similar sized pieces to give the dish a 'chunky' feel. Then mix the liquefied stuff with the coarse for a lovely fresh salsa.

  2. To make the guacamole, peel the avocados and remove the stones. Chop the onions and then put the whole lot, including all the other ingredients, into a food processor or blender7 and mix until it has a smooth and creamy consistency.

  3. For the vegetables, cut them all into similar sized strips (thin and about 3cm long) and fry in some oil with soy sauce. At the same time, place all the chicken and the marinade into a wok or pan and fry until the chicken is golden and the garlic crispy.

  4. Heat some tortillas then serve.

Serving

This is the easy part: put a bit of everything into the middle of a tortilla, fold up and enjoy!

1About 4 large breasts, or 5 - 6 small ones.2This amount can be increased or decreased to taste: however, fajitas are supposed to be spicy.3If you live in a colder country (like the UK) your best bet is to buy them about five days before, to give them time to ripen.4At least 12.5Probably something strong-tasting like rocket is good.6This will use quite a lot of limes - normally about 5 or 6. However, limes can be pretty cheap (especially in markets).7This can be done with a fork, but it takes ages.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A3094373

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


References

h2g2 Entries

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more