Fremont, California, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Fremont, California, USA

3 Conversations

Fremont is located just south of San Francisco Bay, in California, USA. Fremont has no unusual geographical features other than frequent mudslides when the surrounding hills fall into the homes of rich people1. It has a population of roughly 400,000 people and was founded by the joining of several smaller cities. Fremont is largely populated by rich retirees, and overseas visitors working in San Jose for technology companies. Housing costs are high, but homes are readily available if you can afford them. There is little pollution or urbanization, crime is average and there is a rather good school system - complete with local college.

Entertainment

Those who live in Fremont commonly call it a 'suburban wasteland'. Anyone looking for a good time would be better off stopping at the nearby cities of San Jose or San Francisco: there is very little to do in Fremont. There is a large movie theatre, quite a few shopping centres, and several nearby shopping malls, but these can only be expected to keep you occupied until either:

  1. You run out of money, or...
  2. ... you've seen every good movie there is and have been to every chain store you can possibly stand.

The shopping malls and centres would be entertaining for a longer period of time, but they are filled exclusively with large chain stores such as Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, and Wal-Mart. They therefore have little or no interest beyond the first five minutes.

School for the Deaf

Fremont is not a total loss, however. It is one of the world centres for the deaf, being home to the famous Fremont School for the Deaf. American Sign Language is taught alongside Spanish and French in the schools. Indeed, it is not uncommon to see two people with normal hearing conversing in sign language. The deaf are easily and wholly integrated into society and many major stores have interpreters for them.

Culture

Fremont is also a haven for hundreds of other cultures, most prominently Japanese, Chinese and Indian Sikhs. At the last count, there were over 200 distinct languages being spoken fluently in the schools of Fremont. Fremont is home to one of the first multiplex theatres dedicated solely to foreign language films. At the current rate of immigration, the typical 'white American' will soon be in the minority in the town.

Most visitors are coming to Fremont for jobs in technology. While Fremont has little of this industry in itself, it is near the dominant San Jose, which is deep in the heart of Silicon Valley. Its convenience as a commuting centre is enhanced by being the southernmost tip of the BART2 system.

1Fremont's notable residents include 'musician' MC Hammer.2Bay Area Rapid Transit, a large elevated railway system.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Edited Entry

A310924

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more