Roymondo's page of useful free PC software

1 Conversation

From time to time questions pop up on h2g2 asking which software someone should use for something. Usually the same answers crop up and frequently they are free things that I use. I thought I'd whack some of the stuff I use on one page for easy reference.

General PC stuff

Firefox

Firefox is a browser, has ongoing development and a shedload of useful little plug ins, such as YouPlayer which lets you watch video clips in a sidebar. Very handy.

Security and housekeeping

AVG. Anti-virus software. Seems to do the job admirably.

Spybot S&D. Spyware identifier, blocker and remover. As close to 'industry standard' as a piece of free software can get.

Zonealarm. Firewall. Does what it says on the tin and seems to do it well.

Advanced WindowsCare. A good allrounder. Removes spyware and malware, keeps your registry in check, removes traces that could affect privacy, all selectable.

Smartdefrag. Defragments your drives in the background.

Applications

Openoffice. Office suite, does what you expect it to. Not as elegant as the commercial competition but open source and, more importantly, free.

Creative bits

GIMP. Graphics package (GNU Image Manipulation Program). Again, not as elegant as the commercial competition but fully featured, open source and free. There's not much you can do with the commercial alternatives that you can't do with GIMP.

Blender. 3D modelling, animation and rendering software. Frightfully good but a seriously steep learning curve if you're new to it all.

Audacity. Audio recording, editing and manipulation software.

Nvu. WYSIWYG web authoring with integrated FTP client.

Media Players

MediaPlayerClassic. Plays Real Media streams without trying to take over your PC (tut tut Auntie BBC for getting into bed with the purveyors of the resource hogging Real Player.)

VLC. There's not much that MediaPlayerClassic won't play but it can be slow loading up ISOs and VOBs. VLC loads 'em in a jiffy.

Other Bits

uTorrent. BitTorrent client.

Filezilla. FTP client.

ImgBurn. Backup files to DVD, create ISOs etc. Much smaller and less cumbersome than Nero.

AutoGK. Converts video files.

There's probably a lot more but these are the bits that spring to mind. More will be added as I remember them.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A31311398

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

References

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more