Talking Point: Where Do You See Yourself in Five Years?

19 Conversations

Two shots of a woman considering her options, one nervous, one quietly confident.

Just where do you see yourself in five years..? Okay, it has the hollow ring of a bog-standard interview question, but look at this as a chance to ruffle the ol' grey matter about your future. We live in bewildering and unsettling times, yet exciting opportunities abound; half a decade can bring about huge personal change, from matters of work, location and responsibility through to one’s mindset, morals and beliefs.

Contrary to generations past, education-leavers today are schooled to be flexible by learning ‘personal transferable skills’, with less emphasis placed on development of life-long careers. More freedom (for most of us anyway) to roam the globe means spontaneous life-altering decisions can lead us off in search of mental, physical or spiritual fulfilment. For many, however, career and/or family matters may chart our route to contentment (or chaos) in 2009.

Can you predict what’s in store for you? Join the discussion:

  • Is it important to visualise the future and make plans, or should we just go with the flow?

  • With so many variables and no fixed formula in life, can anyone these days realistically visualise past the weekend?

  • What impacts do you think current world events will have on our lives?

  • And what of technology’s role? In five years time will you be spending even more time in front of a computer screen? And, more importantly, will you still be contributing to h2g2?!

    Your contributions may be used for a future edited entry, so the more you can give us, the better.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3264482

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more