Lichtenstein

2 Conversations

Lichtenstein is one of only two countries, next to Uzebekistan, to be double land locked, i.e. it has no coast line because it is completely surounded by two countries. In this case Switzerland and Austria.

The Principality of Liechtenstein was established within the Holy Roman Empire in 1719; it became a sovereign state in 1806. Until the end of World War I, it was closely tied to Austria, but the economic devastation caused by that conflict forced Liechtenstein to enter into a customs and monetary union with Switzerland. Since World War II (in which Liechtenstein remained neutral), the country's low taxes have spurred outstanding economic growth. Shortcomings in banking regulatory oversight have resulted in concerns about the use of the financial institutions for money laundering. Liechtenstein has, however, implemented new anti-money-laundering legislation and recently concluded a Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty with the US.

It's geographic co-ordinates are 47 16 N, 9 32 E and has a total area of 160 kmĀ², all of which is land. It has a total of 76 km of border.

It's weather is continental; cold, cloudy winters with frequent snow or rain; cool to moderately warm, cloudy, humid summers. It is mostly mountainous with the Rhine valley in western third. It's natural resources are hydroelectric potential and arable land.

It's capital is Vaduz, and the whole country is nine tenths the size of Washington DC. It is possible to rent out the whole of Lichtenstein for business conferances!

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3299439

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more