Henderson, Tennessee, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Henderson, Tennessee, USA

0 Conversations

Henderson is a small town in West Tennessee, in the Southern United States; as such, it is part of the Bible Belt. Its zipcode is 38340. The population is around 5,000 - the students at Freed-Hardeman University add another 5,000. Henderson has one stop light.

Henderson is dominated by religion and politics. The Church of Christ is the most powerful church in the area, and the Republicans are intertwined with it. Another aspect that makes the Republicans particularly powerful is the presence of Freed-Hardeman University, smack in the middle of the small town, as though it were surgically fitted there. Young Republicans come from all over the world to study here; Henderson is the Mecca, if you will, of the Church of Christ/Freed Hardeman population. Ken Starr's 1 father went to school in Henderson, and, this particular college, is known for regularly hosting famous Republican speakers. Such guests include James Earl Jones, Elizabeth Dole, and Sam Donaldson.

As with most places within the Bible Belt, the strong religious and political influence is matched by a radical counterculture. There are goths, stoners, hippies, skate punks, metal heads, you name it, as well as many hybrids. There are also teenage cliques, the role-playing computer nerds, the preps, cheerleaders, football players, and band geeks.

Places to Eat

On Main Street, past the stop light, over the bridge, and before you get to the four-way (facing East), you will notice a tiny little set-up with a sign that reads Chow Wagon. Their food is quite tasty, and the family who owns and runs the place is friendly and helpful. They have items such as hot dogs, corn dogs, pizza, hamburgers, and fries... and by far the best things to eat there are the deep-fried mushrooms. They are simply exquisite.

Let's say you decide to pass up the illustrious Chow Wagon. Keep going until you reach that four-way stop, then turn left. Soon, to your right, you will notice a small diner called Bell's Drive-In. They have good diner food. They know how to mix fountain drinks properly, and will never short you on syrup. Their grilled cheese sandwiches are good, and they serve the usual things like hamburgers and fries and such, but the real treat with this place is their desserts. The most highly recommended is the bananna split. They are always made properly, with the bananna halves being perfectly symmetrical, even artistic. Another great thing about this restaurant is that it is not a chain; it has a personal, warm feel and the service is friendly, which any weary vagabond can appreciate. This used to be a popular teen hangout back in the 1950s and 1960s, and you can really feel that when you walk up to the place.

There are plenty of fast food joints in Henderson: Taco Bell, MacDonald's, Burger King, and Jack's to name a few.

For an interesting experience after midnight, go past the four-way stop, then cross the highway until you see, to your right, an Exxon on the hill. This is a favourite place for insomniacs: usually people who play lots of role-playing games, to hang out, get foodstuffs, and generally act wild. The condom/novelty machines in the men's bathroom are a real hoot if you have lots of quarters that you're willing to spend and you don't mind the worried looks on the faces of other patrons as you exit the bathroom with pockets full of oddly-shaped rubber objects.

There are two grocery stores in Henderson - Miller's Big Star and Piggly Wiggly. Piggly Wiggly has more interesting employees, but Big Star has better prices.

Travel

Travelling within Henderson can be quite amusing. There are lots of interesting inhabitants in the various housing developments in town, plus there are many long, winding backroads in the general area. Henderson can also be a great place to go for a walk, either in the afternoon or after midnight.

When leaving Henderson, it is good to know where you are going to end up next. If you take Highway 100 to the East, you will eventually end up in Memphis, TN, home of the famous Elvis Presly, which is roughly 100 miles in that direction. If you take Highway 45, to the North, you will end up in Jackson, TN, home of the legendary Carl Perkins, the rockabilly star, which is roughly 10 miles in that direction. If you take Highway 45 to the South, you will end up in Finger, TN, which is far smaller, more peaceful and very quaint.

Nice Places to Be

Mitchel Lane - It's outside city limits, and connects to Willams Road. If you don't know how to get there, ask directions; someone will be glad to help you. One particular house, 65 Mitchel Lane, has a particularly breathtaking view of that special time of day called twilight, which is best viewed from the roof: Simply go and ask permission of the kind fellow who owns the house and he will happily join you on the roof, most likely bringing along refreshments and a guitar.

Malone's Henderson Chainsaw - Owned by Burl Malone, all-around badass and great guy, this is a nice place to go if you are looking for some friendly chit chat with someone who knows the town. He is involved politically with the town, and generally knows what's up at any given time. He is a middle-aged man with a beard and a warm smile. You can't miss him.

Other Interesting Tidbits

Walking Tall, the story of Buford Pusser, was filmed in Henderson.

1Prosecutor during the Monica Lewinsky-Presidential affair.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A337268

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more