The h2g2 Post 11.09.08

1 Conversation


Posted: 11th September 2008


 

 


Welcome Back!


Seven years ago on a sunny day in Andorra, Lainey and I had a good lie-in and headed for a bar for a quick beer. There was some insane disaster film on that had the locals watching in rapt silence. We thought it was a little odd but, not being terribly good speakers of Catalan, carried on to Caldea. We had a good few hours soaking, rejuvenating our muscles after our 500-mile trek to Santiago, then picked up the loan I'd been wired and had a good dinner. Just an ordinary day.


It was only a few days later that we discovered we hadn't been watching a film at all. Our lifts had dried up and we were making less than 100 miles a day, and France had a strangely tetchy air. We were taken back to an Englishwoman's house as a surprise for her by her French husband, and sat and watched an all-night news channel while she filled us in on the details. Over a few bottles of wine, we realised the enormity of what had happened.


Take a moment today to remember 9/11, and hope the world never sees anything like it again.


We've got a cracking issue for you this week, due in no small part to the efforts of our new recruit, Beatrice. Beatrice has come in as our new Assistant Editor for the Regulars, and she's got into the job remarkably quickly and, apparently, painlessly. I hope you'll all make her feel very welcome. Sadly, this means that we've had to sack B'Elana.


Nah, not really. Would we do that? Bel has moved up into a new role as Content Editor, and the two of us will be working very closely from now on to try to make The Post an even better read. If you haven't already, bookmark us now—it's going to be an exciting few months ahead.


This week's issue is also special because the UnderGuide is five years old! I'm delighted to be able to feature their birthday article and their first Response Collection this issue, and it's wonderful to see them back in The Post again. Hearty congratulations from all of us here.


I could go on and on about this issue; I really do think it's one of the best I've ever seen, and my humble thanks to everyone who has made it such a great one. Please don't forget to leave a comment for the writers if you've liked their columns; I know from a few recent conversations with our contributors that an occasional comment really does make the time spent writing or drawing worthwhile.


Deadline for the next issue is Sunday 21st September. I'm sure that's someone's birthday, but I can't remember whose. Anyway, enjoy this fine issue of The Post!


Skankyrich


 

 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE UNDERGUIDE!

 

 

 

 
FICTION & POETRY

 

 

 

 
CARTOONS

 

 
REGULARS

 

 
FEATURES

 

 

 

 
h2g2 NEWS

 

 

 

 
The Post Box
Submissions Click Here
Editorial Feedback Click Here

  • The

    Post

    Office


The home of the h2g2 Post team


Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A34269654

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Credits

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more