Bertie and the Beast

0 Conversations

A green and scary monster

Once again we are beholden to the current executors of the Knolly estate for letting us publish this, the second package of the great man's journals and memoirs.

Embarrassing Times Part 3

Auntie kept her hands firmly on the book and I licked my rapped and now sore fingers. The diary itself seemed to be grinning at me.

'Knolly, you may have this book when you leave later this morning; I won't give it to you now because I know you far too well. If I give it to you now you'll not return to your bed and that dear wife of yours will be worried that you've been up to no good.'

'Is it that obvious then Aunt?'

'Don't ask such silly questions! Why do you have to be so silly?'

Without waiting for an answer she went on. 'Now what is your opinion of Emilia, hmm?'

I lent back in my chair which caused it to teeter or its rear legs, I shifted my weight and held the chair in perfect balance with my knees ready to catch the underside of the table should such move be required. Auntie's eyebrows went higher than I had ever seen them go before.

'I assume Aunt, that arranging employment for young Emilia is also a prerequisite for me having the diary?'

She continued to stare at me. 'You put me in rather an awkward position you know.'

'If you don't have all four of those chair legs on the floor right now, it will seem even more awkward for you my lad.'

I quickly thumped the chair back onto all for of its legs. She nodded in satisfaction.

'It won't be easy but I'll see what I can do. She certainly has a keen eye for detail.'

'Young man, you will make sure she gets a job with the Service.' She waved the diary in a meaningful way.

'But, Auntie.'

'Don't whine like that, Knolly.'

She gave me a look that only Elspeth could rival and I wanted that that diary.

I took a deep breath and leaned across the table.

'Fine, I'll arrange an interview for her, but I can't do anything else until I get back.'

'Good, well it is just as will Mr Biggfat has already agreed to see her while you are away.'

She got up from her chair clasping tightly to the dairy. 'Your shirt seems to be covered in food Knolly... now goodnight.'

'Hang on, is that it? Don't I even get to have a peek inside? ... No... What! What do you mean Biggfat's agreed?'

'See what I mean, you are slow, which means you are tired and need some sleep. I will give you the diary when you leave after breakfast and that is final.'

I wanted to argue, to plead, but she was right if I got hold of that diary now I would still be looking through it by the time Elspeth awoke and then I would want to catch an even earlier train back to London.

I held up my hands, 'You win, Aunt. I'll finish up here and then toddle off to bed, Lord knows a man can only take some much excitement in one sitting.'

She kissed me on top of my head. 'Remember what I said about taking things more slowly. I'll see you later.'

'Goodnight then, Auntie.'

I picked at the food that remained on my plate, having accidentally lain across it had somewhat lessened my appetite, the eggs were rather worse for wear so I stuck to the ham and cheese and after finding myself a crust, made a very passable sandwich. There was no point dwelling on the dairy now, I could conjure up all sorts of suppositions, theories and explanations about what it contained within its leather bound covers, but until I had it in my own hands they would just have to wait. However, with this unexpected turn up, I would have no problem in handing the 'Y-File' back to Biggfat, thereby helping him out of his current predicament—mind you, that did, of course, raise the question of who wanted access to it and why now?

With a further cup of lukewarm tea I turned my attention to Emilia and where we could find a position for her, oh yes I'm sure it was all decided during my Aunt's visit to the Admiralty, but I knew for sure who would get the job of sorting out the detail. As luck would have it I knew of the perfect place for her to fit in and it was high time I got back at those busybodies in the coding section.

Thus it was with a smug look on my face I climbed the stairs back to my bed. Auntie's light was still on as I went past, I thought about knocking, but changed my mind, she was right I needed some sleep. Elspeth had as per normal spread herself out across the whole of the bed leaving very little wriggle room for me to get in next to her. The last thing I remember was lying very precariously on the very edge, gripping the mattress with my fingers and the bedpost with my toes in an attempt to stay under the covers and in the bed.

Morning came with a knock at the door which Elspeth answered from the dressing table.

'Good morning sleepyhead.'

'And a very good morning to you Mrs Elspeth', grinned Sol-Tan as he opened the door and placed the tray of tea things carefully on the bedside table.

'I think she mean me Sol!'

'Really Mr Knolly sir, are you sure?'

'Well yes, I think I am!'

I looked across to Elspeth for assistance and saw that she was already dressed and ready to travel.

'How long have you been up dear?'

'Oh not long, but I got fed up with being pushed out of bed, I really have no idea what you were dreaming about, all that thrashing around. Too much cheese again I expect?'

'Cheese. Yes... yes quite likely.'

Sol-Tan was still standing by the bedside table taking in our early morning marital exchange.

'You can go now! I can pour you know?'

'Indeed sir, I'm sure you can, but I have a message to pass on from Cook, who says you are to stay out of her way, the kitchen table was left in rather a mess it seems.'

Sol-Tan smiled and I'm sure he winked at Elspeth as he closed the door behind him.

She tut-tutted and wagged her finger at me. 'Naughty boy.'

I grabbed the finger and hand and pulled her onto the bed.

'Knolly ...!'

I put my hand over her mouth to hush her.

'Elspeth, are we packed and ready to go? We need to get back to London as soon as we can?'

She looked at me wide-eyed over the top of my hand and nodded.

'Good show, now then... what... oh, sorry!'

I removed my hand and Elspeth drew in a deep breath and started to loosen her blouse.

'That was rather rough for early in the morning, I must say. That sleep must have done you the power of good. Shall I lock the door?'

'Elspeth, my Aunt showed me something last night.'

'Really? And that gives you reason to handle me so? I find I'm rather confused now.'

'Dearest I'm sorry, but what she offered me is akin to the Holy Grail for me. Something the Service isn't even aware of. A diary of my Uncle, dated 1845.'

Her eyes widened. 'Really, but why would she divulge this to you now?'

'I... I don't know.'

I couldn't let on about what it might contain, about my Aunt stating that I needed to be ready, but then maybe I should; it would give me reason to keep Elspeth at home. I took her hands and held them.

'No I'm sorry that's not true, Aunt thinks it will help understand what really happened and what danger may lie ahead.'

'...but the Y-File.'

'That file is only the official record, this is my Uncle's own words and fears.'

'Alright, let me see it then?'

'Ah..'

'Ah?'

'Hmm... I haven't actually got it. I can't have it until after breakfast and we leave for home.'

Elspeth was taken back by this and clambered off the bed.

'Well, lets see, Sol-Tan has just been up so it's about 7:30 now, and with luck we can make the 9 o'clock train. You get yourself dressed and I'll see what's for breakfast.'

I made to speak.

'No, no, you can thank me later, I'm sure I'll think of a way.'

She flounced out of the bedroom calling for Sol-Tan or 'Young Humbert' to bring our bags downstairs as soon as possible.

I'll confess that I felt much more energised than yesterday, ready for anything. By the time I made my way downstairs all the bags except mine where down waiting to be loaded by Sag Aloo onto the carriage. I nodded to him as I passed.

'Good session yesterday evening, don't you think?'

'Indeed so Mr Knolly, but please don't threaten us with your driving again, I'm not as young as I was.'

I chuckled and went on to meet Elspeth in the dining room, the smell of kippers and kidneys almost overpowering. Although place settings had been set for many it seemed that my wife and I were to dine alone. As I helped myself to the fish on offer I remarked on the emptiness.

'Sol-Tan tells me that your Aunt and the "young gels" went out for an early morning walk, for exercise apparently.'

'Hmmm.... bit too healthy for my liking.' I waved a fork, 'Especially when there's scrumptious scoff like this about.'

'There is nothing wrong with exercise, Knolly.'

'Of course not, no... In moderation though.'

'Indeed.' She went on. 'Like drink perhaps?'

I stopped chewing and looked at Elspeth; she had that mischievous twinkle in her eye.

'You've been talking to Sol and Sag Aloo then?'

'Your outing may have come up in conversation. So when do you intend to introduce me Mrs Spendlove?'

I felt very hot all of a sudden and was rescued by the sight of my Aunt marching at the head of her troop across the lawn and towards the French doors.

'Look here comes Auntie, have you finished? I have, good, let's go and say good morning shall we?'

Elspeth smiled and dabbed her mouth with a napkin.

'This conversation will keep for the journey home, I think.'

My Aunt strode in through the doors as I opened them and the girls moved from line astern and took their places at the tables. Aunt Lettice motioned to Emilia who stood and started marshalling the younger charges to go wash their hands and then queue up to serve themselves. Elspeth and I stood to one side watching all this going on, and what surprised us most of all was that no one spoke. Satisfied that all was working as it should be my Aunt came over to us and ushered us back out into the hall.

'I see you are packed and ready to go, my dears?

'Yes indeed, early train and all that. Just my bag to come down.'

Elspeth nudged me and pointed.

At this point there was a commotion as 'Young' Humbert seemed to miss the last two steps in his descent. Somehow he managed to recover but seemed very surprised that the step down had been so high. His final manoeuvre was to swing elegantly around the banister in a move I had see somewhere before.. quite recently.

'Your bag sir.. um... yes... I'll load it for you now if that is alright with you?' He saw Elspeth and a smile lit up his face. 'Good morning to you too, madam.'

'Auntie, you are going to have to do something about him, you know. He's going to hurt himself.'

'Yes, find him a duties limited to the ground floor and way from bedrooms.' Chipped in Elspeth as she scowled in his direction as he went outside.

My Aunt let this comment go past, or had mentally made a note of it for later, I'm never quite sure.

'I suppose you'll be wanting this then?'

She seemed to make my Uncles' diary appear from nowhere, but she must have had it with her all the time, hidden who know where amongst the swathes of cloth she was dressed in.

I took the book from her and smiled. At last I had the book in my hand. I kissed my Aunt on the cheek and went to open it.

'Knolly, you mustn't open it here, not in this house. Remember our conversation earlier this morning when you read it.'

'Of course Aunt, I understand. Goodbye then.'

'Goodbye then Aunt, would you like Knolly and I to bring you back something from Scotland?'

I grabbed Elspeth and backed hurriedly towards the door. My Aunt's face had suddenly taken on the look of a very large, angry prune.

'You didn't mention I was going, did you?' whispered Elspeth.

I shook my head. 'Just get into the carriage dear.'

'Knolly....you never told me that Elspeth was going too!' exploded my Aunt.

'Why Aunt, you never asked!' I put myself in front of Elspeth and passed the book to her. 'Go! Now!'

'But you cannot take her, the dangers that might lie ahead... She's going to have a baby.'

My Aunt made to snatch the book back, but I stepped in her way and held her.

'Auntie, Elspeth will be quite safe, we have already discussed it and come to an arrangement.'

'Indeed yes.' Added Elspeth as she climbed inside. 'I intend to stay well out of the way, so what could possibly happen to me?'

My Aunt was close to tears, and her rage had brought her girls and servants running (or falling in the case of 'Young' Humbert). What was it she knew but couldn't tell me? Hopefully the journey home would provide many answers.... about many things.

The Great Knolly Archive

The Shepherd and
huzzah4knolly

05.06.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A36762717

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more