Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World

0 Conversations

The Websailor's Wacky Wildlife World logo

A quirky look at wildlife. To be taken with a pinch of
salt, but with more than a grain of truth!

The Grass is Greener but the Adder is Meaner

I have never encountered a snake in the wild but as I sometimes walk in a country park which has ideal habitat for both the Grass Snake/Ringed snake Natrix natrix and the Adder/Viper Vipera berus I thought perhaps I should educate myself a bit. Mid summer is, after all, the prime time for their appearance in the UK. So look away now if the mention of snakes turns you to jelly.

Most of us are not so ignorant that we do not know that the Adder is the meaner of the two, being our only venomous snake, but there is a world of difference in knowing that and recognising it in the wild. As more and more people take to walking, for exercise and pleasure, taking the family dog too, it is doubly important to be aware.

First then, the Grass snake. They are generally a greenish grey, in varying shades, and I suspect their colour varies according to their habitat. They have a distinctive yellow collar with big golden eyes and black lines running from their eyes to their lips, and some black spots. The typical forked tongue is black. The females are larger, reaching as much as 200cm, while the males are not much more than 120cm. Surprisingly they are the larger of the two snakes. They are found in England and Wales (where numbers are declining) but not in Scotland or Ireland.

Where I live, a river runs through the country park, providing the damp habitat they prefer along with tasty morsels such as frogs, tadpoles, newts and fish, as they mostly hunt underwater. It is also ideal for mice and small birds for additional sustenance. They can of course be found on farmland and on the edges of woodland, too. They like to lay their eggs in cosy warm places, too - so your compost heap should be approached with care from July to September.

While not venomous, they have some rather nasty habits which are not to be encouraged. Should they feel under attack they give out a rank, evil smelling substance, guaranteed to drive away even your best friend. They can also roll over and 'play dead', so be warned.

So, to the Adder, the one that strikes fear in the heart of anyone with a phobia; yet is not aggressive or dangerous if left alone. Like many creatures it will only strike if disturbed suddenly, perhaps by a dog, or provoked, say with an inquisitive walking pole or stick! After all, if you were sitting basking in the sunshine, minding your own business, and some busy body prodded you as you dozed, I guess you would be somewhat bad tempered.

They grow to approximately 50-60cms but again the females are larger than the males. Both sexes have a distinctive zig-zag marking running the length of their bodies, their colours varying from grey and buff to silver/yellow/green which could cause initial confusion with the Grass snake. Many have an X shaped mark just behind the head.

They prefer heathland and rough grassland and eat small prey - amphibians, lizards, young birds and small mammals. They strike, leaving the venom to work, thus avoiding a struggle and possible injury to themselves.

Unlike Grass snakes, they do not make nests or lay eggs, but give birth to live young, sometimes as many as 20, around late August, which quickly become independent.

When walking, wear trousers, socks and stout shoes, and don't go poking around in holes, or let your dog do likewise, as you may get more than you bargained for. If you encounter a snake, stand still. Movement is seen as a threat and will encourage a strike.

An Adder bite is very painful, and is accompanied by one or two puncture marks in the affected area. The effects can be nasty, and occasionally very serious, and immediate medical help should always be sought. This is particularly important if you already have a medical condition which could be exacerbated. Identification of the snake is also useful if possible.

The most important thing to remember is 'Don't Panic!' and don't walk on the affected foot or drive with a bitten arm. Move as little as possible. Obviously that is sometimes unavoidable, and is all the more reason to carry a mobile phone, and always tell someone where you are going, and when you expect to be back.

Don't wait to see the effects of the bite. This is also good advice if your dog happens to get bitten. Loosen his collar and get him to a vet as soon as possible.

Should you be going abroad this summer where snakes and other animals are likely to be encountered, then it might be advisable to get the full 'chapter and verse' on snake bites and other problems you might encounter here.

Having said all that 'don't have nightmares' and enjoy your summer holidays. If you enjoy a giggle and have time, here is a wonderful snake myth which is surely a lesson on the consequences of panicking.

Websailor's Wacky Wildlife
World Archive

Websailor

03.07.08 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A37774858

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more