Science Matters

0 Conversations

A weekly round-up of science news

Cetacean Strandings

The strandings of whales, dolphins and porpoises have doubled in the UK over 10 years to 782. Some have been caught in nets and some have been disorientated by sonar. The situation is being monitored by the government and many other groups which hope to make plans to decrease the numbers stranded.

Monarch Butterflies

The butterfly is in danger, even though a reserve exists to help the Monarchs numbers. Illegal logging in the lower slopes is pushing the butterflies to the upper slopes where they die from the cold. Numbers are a tenth of those seen in 1996-97.

Iberian Lynx

This Lynx is only found in Spain and Portugal and is under threat of dying out. This would make it the first cat to disappear since the saber-toothed tiger. There are only 100-120 individuals now; their numbers have plummeted since the beginning of the 20th century when there were 100,000. The European Commission built a road through their last remaining habitat. Combining that with road deaths, hunting and a decline in their prey – wild rabbits - and the WWF thinks they may only last another 5 years. The WWF hopes the 2 last populations can be linked by closing the road which is killing so many. They are campaigning for the 'EU's Natura 2000 Programme' which is the strongest level of protection in Europe. If you can't get the strongest level of protection when there are only 100 individuals left, just when can you get it?

Arizona meteor

The great crater in Arizona which is 1.2 km wide and 170m deep, is now thought to have been caused by fragments from a meteor and not the whole one. Outside the crater is a 10km blast from smaller fragments which had ripped off in the atmosphere.

Volcanos

Mount St Helens has erupted, throwing ash and smoke 40 000 ft into the air. It is not thought to be a risk for those living in Washington. It comes at a time when geologists have called for emergency management to be set-up in the case of a super volcano erupting. The report was timed to coincide with a UK docu-drama on a super eruption at Yellowstone.

Greenhouse Gas

The UK has announced new tougher limits on controlling greenhouse gas emissions after pressure from the EU. This also means the UK is now able to join the European Emissions Trading Scheme, where carbon dioxide allowances can be traded within member countries.

Asia

The pollution from burning fuel is now hanging over south Asia from October to May, in the form of a 3 km thick brown haze. The haze also contains sulphates and nitrates. Temperatures have decreased in the area and there is also less evaporation and monsoon rainfall.

Space Race

Space Ship One and its creator Burt Rutan are part of a consortium to which NASA issued a contract for the next lunar lander. However NASA insists on 40-50 reports a month on every aspect of progress. The consortium cannot keep up with the requirements from NASA and are pulling out. Still there is always the European Space Agency or a move to Japan or India perhaps?

Solar Storms

We had some impressive solar storms in 2004, but they have destroyed 60% of the planets ozone. Although the ozone can replenish itself, it comes at a time when we are also seeing the results of manmade ozone depletion.

Laughter is the Best Medicine

Research has shown that laughter relaxes blood vessels and allows the blood to flow more freely whereas when watching harrowing films the blood flow constricts. This indicates that laughter helps fight the results of mental stress, and should be become part of a healthy lifestyle.

Science vs Commercialism

Lord Winston has now spoken out against the commercialism of science. In a world where getting grants for non-commercial projects is getting more difficult and physics departments are being closed throughout the country, we need more influential people to speak out.

India

The US took out a patent on an anti-fungal product derived from the Neem tree in 1995. The Neem tree is indigenous in Indian and is used in their traditional medicine and has been for over 2,000 years. This could have lead to the situation where Indians were going to have to pay to be allowed to use their natural medicines. However, the patent has been overturned. India did win in 2000, but the US had mounted an appeal which has now lost. This may now act as a precedent for many other cases of biopiracy.

Sources

Science Matters Archive

KazSorrel

17.03.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3798020

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more