The Virtual Reinhard

1 Conversation

The Bund at night

A Letter from Shanghai: Part Two

Finally, the ferry reached what appeared to be the open sea, but which was in fact the famous Yangtze, Changjiang or Yellow River, just getting wide and lazy after it's long journey all the way across the country en route to the East China Sea.

Back in town, we searched in vain for a Chinese restaurant. Every eatery boasted it's French-trained chef and it's European menu and, in the end, surrounded by thousands of years of Chinese culinary expertise, we had to settle on French cuisine and New Zealand wine. However, they weren't going to get away with this every night, and we hunted down a five-star Chinese restaurant which, conveniently enough, was located in our hotel, inside the huge glass sphere that you see on every Shanghai postcard.

It still wasn't easy, though. As we approached the door, we were firmly rebuffed by staff in beautiful silk dresses;
'No no, here Chinese food, restaurant is downstair.'
Nevertheless, we battled our way in, to be confronted by an enormous circular room with stunning views over the Bund, acres of plushly set tables, and not a single other diner.

The menu was fascinating. Every dish that I'd always wanted to try, but had been afraid to in fear of being passed off with a substitute. The prices were suitably exorbitant, so it looked like this was going to be the real deal. As the waiting staff peered over each others' shoulders in amazement, I ordered Birds Nest Soup and Sea Cucumber in Abalone Sauce. I was not disapointed; the soup, which should be made from the spit-glued nests of cave swallows harvested by men hanging from hazardous bamboo ladders, had precisely the texture you would expect from boiled saliva. Similarly, the braised sea cucumber came whole and ungarnished and looked and tasted exactly like the boiled slug that it was. The abalone sauce was excellent. Handing over the equivalent price of a room in this five star hotel, I declared myself satisfied.

Inside the Bund tunnel

In the morning, after picking over a sadly westernised breakfast and trying to shake off our jetlag, we headed for the city centre. Apart from the road bridge, there are two ways of crossing the river; the metro, which is fast and efficient and costs 2 Yuan for as far as you want to go, and the Tourist Tunnel, which is much slower, costs 40 Yuan just to get you under the river, and is... weird.

After buying our tickets from the smiling attendant, we made our way down an escalator onto an underground station platform adorned with quite lifelike virtual fish tanks. After a few moments a fully automated carriage arrived out of the tunnel and we were escorted with a flourish into the glass cabin, perhaps the size of a large van. The car started to move, accompanied by electronic music from hidden speakers. Suddenly, a male voice intoned something like 'vocanic rocks' in English and all hell broke loose outside. Strobe lights flashed up and down the tunnel, glowing images appeared on the walls, and the train moved through an ever-changing kalieidescope of neon colour, each accompanied by a geological phrase and loud music. A few moments later, we emerged on the other side, amused but very definitely baffled.

Outside The Jade Temple

Shanghai is a city in transition, with rickshaws mixing it with cars in front of the tin shack sweatshops in the shadow of huge international skyscrapers. This can be a little frustrating when you are a tourist, as we found that sites of interest on the map were as often as not represented on the ground with a small sign saying 'Former site of...' or 'Here once stood...'. Mind you, you cannot fail to be impressed by the people who errect a plaque dedicated to 'The former site of the former provisional government of Korea'.

The famous Bund, on the northern side of the Huangpu River and directly opposite our hotel, bears a strong resemblance to the Thames Embankment, if you could imagine it sweltering in sultry heat and packed with postcard vendors and street photographers. Shanghai Old Street, situated on Fangbang Road, is particularly interesting. In its 825 metres, the architectural style of the buildings ranges through time from the Ming and Qing dynasties at one end, to the western-influenced Chinese Republic at the other. You can't help noticing the wealthy glory at one end and the somewhat seedy squalor at the other.

One thing that we were keen to see, and that we were pretty sure was still standing, was the Temple of the Jade Buddha. It was quite a walk through the bustling streets, assaulted on every side by the blare of horns and the tinkle of bicycle bells, directed this way and that by grey-uniformed 'traffic assistants' who constantly harangued pedestrians, car drivers and rickshaw riders alike in an attempt to get them to observe the traffic signals. The shops selling carved jade and silk clothing, which characterised Fanbang Road, gave way to tiny sheds devoted to the sale of buttons or strips of ribbon, until finally we stood outside the monastery that was our destination.

There was a small fee to get in, another fee to see the buddha and yet more money-making ventures in the form of stalls selling small carvings and jewellery, but apart from all that it was quite a relaxing place. It had quite a number of shrines, each with its impressively carved stone or wood androgynous buddha. The centrepieces, the eponymous Jade Buddha and the jade Reclining Buddha, were well worth the visit all by themselves, but if you want to see them, you'll have to go yourself because photography is forbidden. In some ways, this is a pity, because I would have loved to get a picture of the monk in attendance to the Jade Buddha, texting frantically on a mobile phone, pooh-bear slippers peeking from beneath his saffron robe.

The Jade Temple

Click here to see the Jade Buddha Temple's Notice To Visitors

All too soon it was time to leave Shanghai, so we paid our enormous hotel restaurant bill and caught another far too exciting taxi, but this time only as far as the train station, because we couldn't resist catching the fastest train in the world. It really is an amazing piece of technology. Our original taxi ride from the airport was 45 minutes; the 420km/h maglev did roughly the same journey in 6, running alongside the motorway and passing the hurrying cars as if they were standing still.

Once at the airport, Shanghai had one more surprise for us. While we were queuing to pay the Yuan 90 departure tax, an official gave us a certificate to confirm that our body temperatures were below 37 centigrade. A little investigation revealed a man with an infra red camera who was reading off peoples' core temperatures from a distance.
'You don't have SARS. You are free to go.'

The Shanghai TV mast at night

The Virtual Reinhard Archive

Pseudemys

14.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3891576

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more