Lubbock , Texas, USA

1 Conversation

Texan in a t-shirt

Lubbock, Texas (locally referred to as 'the hub city') is a medium sized town with a population of nearly a quarter million people. It is located at 33 degrees 35 feet north latitude 101 degrees 53 feet west longitude, roughly 130mi. miles south of Amarillo, 137mi. north of Midland, and 385mi. northwest of Dallas, Texas.

Lubbock began as grazing lands for the cattle ranchers of
the Texas Panhandle (also referred to as 'The South Plains'), then began it's life as an agricultural epicenter. Later, Lubbock began it's ascent to city status by way of the cotton trade. Although becoming few and far between Lubbock is home to cotton gins, and more prominently
cotton farms; as is the surrounding area.

Lubbock is home to Texas Tech University (the Red Raiders), Lubbock Christian University, and portions of South Plains University. (Take note, as
these bear effects on roads and traffic.)

Native plantlife in the area includes wildflowers such as the Buttercup (genus species), and Silverleaf Nightshade (genus species), commonly known as 'weeds'. Notably, the area is home to various species of Tumbleweed aka Russian Thistle (Salsola collininia, kali, etc.), however, unknown to many this plant was brought to the United States from another country. (Accidently even, but that's a whole other article.)

Although not technically in the 'bible belt', you can see the effects of a predominantly Southern Baptist population everywhere. A fair example is the fact that Lubbock is what is commonly referred to as a dry city, in that you cannot purchase alcohol within city limits.1This has lead to an area known as 'The Strip' on highway 87 South of Lubbock, named for the large amount of Vegas-esque lighted signs and billboards surrounding the liquor stores. Ironically, Lubbock County is home to two established wineriessmiley - redwine, Llano Estacado Winery and the CapRock Winery. It is also worth mentioning that locals have
begun to question the reasoning of doing so in the present for various reasons, and petitions to change the law are in circulation.

It may interest some that Lubbock was home to Buddy Holly for a time, which has led to streets named for him, memorials, and museums.2

The culture of Lubbock is predominantly two types: the farmer/cowboy/urban cowboy and what is commonly referred to as average Americans. However, as with any other city in the US it is home to various so called 'subcultures'. If you look hard enough you will find everything from traditional chinese (complete with their own churches and shopping centers) to goths.*

Partially due to the large amount of college students and graduates, Lubbock is home to a fair amount of restaurants you will not find in other cities, as well as the regular slew of national chains. Of particular interest to any night owls out there is Night Owls which is the only take out that serves everything from a club sandwich to linguini and is only open from 5pm to 5amsmiley - .

1This does not mean you cannot buy a drink in a bar, it means you cannot purchase alcohol to take with you.2Contrary to popular belief, Buddy Holly was not born in Lubbock itself, but a town in the surrounding area.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A3945602

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Currently in:

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more