The h2g2 Post Recipe

1 Conversation

The Beeblecast icon

Gnocchi Vesuvio

If this recipe sounds dangerously spicy, do not panic - it's not at all hot. The 'Vesuvio' part of the name comes from the mixture of tomato sauce and mozzarella, which gives the impression of molten lava. I love potatoes and will use gnocchi in place of any pasta, given half a chance.

Ingredients (Serves 2)

  • 500g - 1lb 2oz - fresh Gnocchi
  • 1 jar of passata
  • 150g - 6oz - mozzarella cheese (don't use the really expensive stuff)
  • 1 onion
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 50g - 2oz - unsliced chorizo (optional)
  • 1 large handful basil leaves

Method

  1. Finely chop the onion and garlic, and cut the chorizo (if you are using it) into ½cm cubes.
  2. Heat a little sunflower oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, garlic and chorizo until the onion has softened.
  3. Add the passata and top up with about half a pint of hot water. Season well with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add the gnocchi and allow to simmer for a further five minutes.
  5. While the gnocchi is cooking, grate the mozzarella and finely chop the basil. At the end of the five minutes, take the pan off the heat and add the mozzarella and basil. Stir once and serve immediately.

Variations

For those that like such things, a few mushrooms would go well in this dish. Add them about halfway through cooking the onion. The dish is equally good with pasta, especially a filled pasta such as ravioli or tortellini. If you are using fresh pasta the recipe remains the same, if it is dried then you will need to cook it al dente according to the packet instructions and then simmer it in the sauce for only two or three minutes.

Watch the h2g2 Beeblecast!

The Recipe Archive

Mu Beta

13.03.08 Front Page

28.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

h2g2 Film Banner by Fairydoodler

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A3960902

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written by

Credits

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more