Atlanta, Georgia, USA

4 Conversations

Although located in the "Heart of the South" and even serving as a capitol for the Confederacy during the American Civil War, certainly no southerner outside of the city would consider this a southern style city. Perhaps the only reminence of southern culture still found in the city is the occasional "ya'll" said by a few buisiness executives during a meeting in a skyscraper downtown.

Known for many things, such as the home of Coca-Cola, the 1996 Olympic Games and a funny little baseball team called the "Braves," Atlanta is put on the map by things resulting from these happenings. For example, the 1996 Olympic games bombing, the Buckhead murders which occured after SuperBowl 2000 and a loud mouthed guy known the whole country over as John Rocker.

The history of Atlanta is rather boring and uniteresting, it started out as a railroad town and was burnt down in the Civil War and then was rebuilt and has some few million people now, though if the rate at which it has grown in the last 2 decades continues there should be about 200 million people by the end of the year 2020 (rough estimate, of course).

The one most definitive trademark of Atlanta though, has to be its road system. Not just the highways, mind you, which could probably have been designed better by a monkey playing with spaghetti, but every single road in the whole city. Take, for just one of many examples, a road called Ponce de Leon. It goes through the worst, most dangerous part of town and if you continue along it for about another 10 minutes you will swerve and curve your way into the best and most expensive part of town. If you go any different road long enough you will probably end up crossing over Ponce De Leon a minimum of 2 times. There really is no point in explaining the system of roads in Atlanta, for the main reason that there is none. This is mostly due to the fact that Atlanta sprung up with new suburbs so quickly to meet the demand of the rush of people moving in that there was no time to plan. If you come from any different part of the world to live in Atlanta you will never understand how the roads curve so much and get from one place to another and never cross the road you want to actually be on, while people who grow up in Atlanta understand the roads completely and have no idea why on earth anyone would question their effectiveness.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Entry

A396128

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Written and Edited by

Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more