The X-Philes - Sing Me An Old Fashioned Song 6

0 Conversations

Later That Evening

In the barn a group of voodoo worshippers are gathered to perform the last part of the ceremony all dressed in colourful robes. Karen and Andy are tied together on a specially made concrete altar.

'I never thought I'd go out like this!' Andy says. He grabs Karen's hand and squeezes it.

'How do you think they'll do it?' askes Karen.

'Quickly I hope.' he replies.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A car pulls into the deserted town and three women and a man get out.

'I don't like this. It's too quiet.' says Doggett drawing his gun.

'I agree!' says Scully also drawing her gun. She goes slowly towards the hotel where Andy and Karen were staying. She motions Doggett to the back and beckons Monica towards her. 'On my signal,' she whispers and indicates the countdown on her fingers. Three, Two, One! Monica kicks the door open as Doggett does the same with the back door.

'FREEZE FBI!!!!!!!!!!!!' they all shout but no-one is there.

'I like this even less, now.' says Doggett. He pulls a walkie talkie out of his pocket. 'Agent Richmond... Agent Taylor... Come on, answer me... Richmond... Taylor... Come on...' He heads out of the door. 'Now I'm worried!' He's followed by Scully and Reyes. Marie stands in front of him.

'You cannot help them, I can. You must do as I say.' she says. Doggett sighs and agrees. He and the others gather around Marie.

The Barn

In the barn the ceremony is in full swing. A coffin is laid by the altar and a symbol of three interlocking diamonds has been drawn on the floor. The drumbeats and chanting disguise the sound of Marie, Doggett, Scully and Reyes entering the barn. Marie pours salt into a large circle and beckons the others to stand in it with her.

'This will keep us safe.' she says. The other ceremony is coming to an end. A hand is seen coming out of the coffin. Andy and Karen stare horrified at it.

'My God it is her. I recognise that ring!' says Andy. Karen doesn't reply. She is muttering prayers of her own. Suddenly a slithering sound is heard and a giant snake slides into the barn and up to the altar. Andy gives Karen's hand one last squeeze and closes his eyes waiting for the end. Caitlin looks directly at the group at the back of the barn.

'You cannot help them now. Revenge is mine!' she laughs. Marie steps into view.

'I don't think so, cher. It is not good to deceive the Gods.' Marie replies and throws a medalion bearing three interlocking triangles onto the altar. The sound of wings is heard in the barn and Caitlin starts to scream.

'NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO, NO, NO, Zdenek, please forgive me. I didn't mean it. Please don't!' She falls to her knees, begging. Doggett runs to Marie.

'Are you nuts?' he yells. 'You've called up another of these things.' Reyes and Scully appear beside them. Marie puts her hand on his shoulder.

'What is the first commandment, cher?' she asks. Doggett frowns.

'Thou shalt not have any God before me or something like that.' he replies. Realization dawns on Monica's face.

'Oh my God, yes. She's broken one of the fundamental rules of voodoo hasn't she? She's called on two petro loa's.' Scully looks lost. 'In black voodoo you must worship one loa and one only. The snake isn't Zdenek, the vulture is. Oh that's clever, Marie.' Reyes says admiringly. They all turn as Caitlin screams again.

'No, no, no, they've seen each other.' The vulture screams at the snake and the snake rears up and lashes out at the vulture. The agents watch in horrified facination as the gods eye each other. Suddenly the snake coils itself around Eddie Luce and carries him off. Catlin cowers at the altar begging the Vulture for her life. She makes a bolt for the door but the vulture swoops down, grabs her in his beak and flys off. The other worshippers make a run for it where they are faced with the Georgia PD and local FBI agents.

Inside the barn Scully helps an exhausted Marie to sit down. Doggett and Reyes are untying Andy and Karen.

'I don't even want to know what just happened.' says Andy.

'Are we safe now?' asks Karen. Reyes nods.

'I should think so.' Andy gets up and walks over to the coffin. He takes a deep breath and peers in. He gasps.

'She hasn't changed at all. It's... unbelieveable. Has it got something to do with the voodoo thing?' he asks. Marie nods.

'She has probably been planning this from day one, cher.' she remarks.

'So how did you know about the two gods thing?' asks Scully. Marie smiles.

'The vèvè's gave it away. Similar but different to those who aren't used to looking. I don't know why she thought she could get away with it. Everyone from the High Priestess to the lowest newcomer knows you don't worship two loa's but when hatred and obsession blind your logic mistakes are made.' She looks at all the agents in turn. 'As you all know to your cost. Learn from this or it will consume you in the end. Learn to let it go.'


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Memorial Park, Washington DC

It is two weeks since the agents came back from Georgia. Statements have been taken and questions asked and answered. Now Doggett and Reyes are sitting at the bandstand in the park. Andy has invited them to attend a concert that his school orchestra is performing. He and Karen are planning to pay tribute to their former band mates. Reyes waves to Scully and the man with her.

'Is that Mulder?' she asks Doggett. He nods.

'Yep, that's him.' He gets up and hugs Mulder. 'It's great to see you up and out at last.' Mulder returns the hug.

'I was going stir crazy and besides I want an update on everything.' he says grinning.

'Not all at once.' warns Scully.

'Bonjour, mon chers.' says Marie.

'Marie! What are you doing in Washington?' exclaimes Monica.

'I was invited.' she replies. 'I wanted to see how Andy and Karen are
doing.' She spots Karen and waves her over. 'How are you doing, cher?' she asks as she kisses Karen.

'Great, really great, thank you. I feel better than I have for years. Oh, I must go. It's time for our tribute.' she says running off.

'Ah she looks so happy doesn't she? Ah l'amour.' Marie says smiling. Reyes looks sharply at her.

'Marie, what have you been up to?' Marie pretends to look hurt.

'Me? Nothing, cher. I just gave l'amour a helping hand.'

'Shh!' says Doggett. 'They're about to start.' Andy takes the microphone and starts to talk.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm interrupting the programme to pay tribute to my former bandmates from my student days. You will have read about the murders in the papers. They were good friends of ours and Karen and I would like to perform a little number in rememberence of them.' Karen joins him onstage and begins to sing A Hard Rain's A Gonna Fall. As she sings each of the agents get lost in their own thoughts - as do the two musicians on the stage.

The X-Philes Series Archive

Reefgirl

28.04.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

h2g2 Film Banner by Fairydoodler

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A3962568

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more