Bill and Ben, 1952-1954

0 Conversations


Bill and Ben, the flowerpot men, made their television debut on Watch with mother in 1952. They were humanoid figures made from flowerpots. Their manner of speech, liberally sprinkled with 'flibadobs' and 'flobadobs', bordered the far limits of intelligibility and pre-dates Tellytubby dialect by nearly 50 years. Bill and Ben spent most of their time hiding in two very big flower pots on either side of their friend Little Weed, whose conversation was pretty much limited to variations of 'We-e-ee-ed!'. They could only come out in safety when they knew that the Gardener was at dinner. Lord knows what the Gardener would have done if he had ever caught them! It was never really explained; but everyone knew it would be horrible!


When 'the man who worked in the garden' went for his dinner, the fun began. Little Weed announced the all-clear: 'We-ee-e-eed'; and Bill and Ben would cautiously peer over the tops of their big flowerpots. "flibadob"..."flobadob"...and we were off on another 15 minute adventure.


The stories usually involved Bill and Ben discovering some new and unimagined artefact left behind by the gardener, usually not a jug of Paraquat. The climax was most often near the end, when Bill or Ben would get stuck in whatever they had found; or, at least, discover that they were unable to put what they had been playing with back exactly as they had found it. Which was vital, if they were to remain undiscovered. As Bill and Ben wrestled with their dilemma, Little Weed would begin screeching warnings of the return of 'the man who works in the garden, 'Wee-ee-ee-e-ed!'.


Fortunately, in every case, they managed to put things right in the nick of time. Back in their flowerpots, they would hide until their next chance to sneak out while the gardener was away.


Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Entry

A399981

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more