Hitchhiker Movie Review One

1 Conversation

h2g2 Film Banner by Fairydoodler

When?

Saturday 30 April 2005, 20.50 BST.

Where?

Leicester Square UCI, London, England, Earth, the Galaxy.

Who?

Reddyfreddy, Whisky, Luckystar.

Pre-movie drinks?

A few pints of London Pride (G'nT for the ladies!) in the Angel and Crown where we were joined by 2legs. Discussion included a lot of 'life as an ex-pat', which both Whisky and myself are, and possible countries for 2legs to move to once he's rich.

Post-match analysis?

Over lemon chicken, szechuan pickle pork and a few more beers in Chinatown. Honestly, the licensing laws in the UK! Midnight on a Saturday night and the pubs have closed????

Best bits in the movie

W and RF both quite liked the Dolphin song - I wasn't so sure. But then, it reminded me of the Muppets theme tune, so maybe it was a sort of Jim Henson tribute. The strains of 'Journey of the Sorceror' brought tears to my eyes. The rest of the soundtrack I actually found a bit annoying, at times intrusive. And surely a wasted opportunity - Powderfinger have an excellent song called Don't Panic which would have been a brilliant closing credits number.

The factory floor is excellent and we've all put the toasting bread-knife on our letter to Santa Claus. And seeing the original Marvin in the queue. And Mr Blobby!

The infinite improbability drive, especially the knitted people

The animated bits of the Guide itself

My best 'laugh-out-loud' moment was the congregation worshipping the Great God Arkleseizure, who are all instructed to make the sound of his holiness1, before receiving their benediction from the high priest2.

Casting comments

Alan Rickman's voice is watchable in anything - if you know what I mean. Perhaps that was a very smart move on his part to counter any steroetyping as Snape. RF remarked that the cuddly appearance of Marvin was more in line with the original book's idea - thereby setting his depression into greater contrast. On the other hand, the Vogon guard is supposed to be 'good at shouting', when he didn't really raise his voice at all in the movie. Martin Freeman was just right as the permanently bemused DentArthurDent, but could have done more 'to camera' looks for my taste - they only happened a couple of times, not enough to make it work. Malkovich's role is a bit unclear... but the absolute star is Bill Nighy who is now, in my mind, the definitive Slartibartfast.

Other musings

I reckon that it'll be Marvin who divides the old and new fans - those who've read the radio series, watched the book and listened to the TV show 3 will double-take at the very round and lovable looking incarnation of the paranoid android. Those seeing him for the first time will be smitten and will want the toy action figure at the soonest opportunity.

Talk of sequels is encouraging!

Subsequent re-watching will be required to get the bits I missed the first time round. I'm looking forward to taking my children (11 and 13) - I know they'll love it, with its perfect combination of humour, sci-fi effects and actors they recognise.

Whisky's comment as the final credits rolled: 'I can live with that!'

Lucky Star

05.05.05 Front Page

Back Issue Page

1Ah-choo!2Bless you!3... or something...

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

Entry

A4006874

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry


Disclaimer

h2g2 is created by h2g2's users, who are members of the public. The views expressed are theirs and unless specifically stated are not those of the Not Panicking Ltd. Unlike Edited Entries, Entries have not been checked by an Editor. If you consider any Entry to be in breach of the site's House Rules, please register a complaint. For any other comments, please visit the Feedback page.

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more