Camp Yamhill, Oregon, USA Content from the guide to life, the universe and everything

Camp Yamhill, Oregon, USA

0 Conversations

Camp Yamhill is a Christian camp located in Yamhill, Oregon, USA, which is about one hour south-west of Portland. It sits on 210 acres of evergreen forest, part of which is cleared to form a large field. Yamhill River runs through the centre of camp and meets Haskins Creek at Inspiration Point. Camp Yamhill has a legacy of serving the Christian God and its community by providing an excellent retreat location for youth and other organisations. The camp is known as a place of spiritual renewal and personal growth.

The facility includes a challenge course with high and low elements, designed to teach trust, communication and teamwork.

History

Mr and Mrs CH George donated the land on which Camp Yamhill sits to the A Cappella Churches of Christ. In 1954 the Yamhill Encampment Corporation was established. When the camp was opened there was only one building on the property, which was the old dining hall. The great tree1 which stands in the field was a popular shelter. Campers would sleep beneath its limbs during fine weather (Noted because such weather is never a guarantee in Oregon). The recent addition of cabins has rendered this pastime unnecessary.

The first family camp was held in 1956. The first youth camp was in 1957, and the first men's retreat was in 1964. Since then, Yamhill has hosted regular summer camps and events for various organisations.

Facilities

Today, Camp Yamhill has eight cabins, a staff lodge, three meeting halls, two amphitheatres, three bridges, two swimming holes and a pond. There are also three private residences on property. Volunteers have constructed most of the facilities over the last 50 years.

The Large and Small Lodges

Davis Hall, usually referred to as the Large Lodge, was constructed in 1965. Over the years it has undergone several remodels, including the addition of the camp's kitchen to the facility. The lodge now serves as an auditorium, cafeteria, and craft shop. It is also the local venue for 8-ball pool and ping-pong. Spectators have settees in the corner.

The original dining hall is now the Small Lodge. Located adjacent to Davis Hall, the Small Lodge is better suited for worship sessions, business meetings, or feeding small groups. It houses the day-use restrooms. The outside of the building has a window for operating 'Canteen', the camp's snack shop. Recently, two showers were added to make the building suitable as an extra cabin during large events.

Yamhill University

A third lodge was constructed in 2004 at the edge of the Mill Pond. It was designed for a youth leadership retreat that began in 2002. The retreat and the building share the same name: Yamhill University. This lodge is designed to be self-contained. It has a multi-purpose room and restrooms with showers downstairs, and dormitories upstairs.

The Amphitheatre

A large campfire pit with stadium seating2 on one side and a well-constructed stage on the other, this is the location chosen for keynote speakers, large praise times and the ever popular 'campfire': campers and counsellors sharing silly songs, skits, and group games.

The other amphitheatre was constructed in 2003. This amphitheatre is approximately one-third the size of the large one. It looks across the Mill Pond at Yamhill University.

Inspiration Point

Located directly behind the large amphitheatre stage, Inspiration Point is probably the deepest part of the Yamhill River on camp property. It is traditionally the site for baptisms during camp.

Haskins Bridge

About 0.4 km (ΒΌ mile) up Haskins Creek from Inspiration Point is Haskins Bridge. It was built around 1999. The bridge is constructed from wood, and suspended approximately 3.7m (12ft) above the water. It is wide enough for two campers to walk abreast and has benches on the sides towards the centre.

The Mill Pond

Across the Yamhill River from the main area of camp, the Mill Pond provides the most popular spot for fishing and canoeing. It is home to much of Yamhill's wildlife, as frogs, turtles, and several fish can be seen here. A blue heron sighting is even claimed by the camp.

The Mill Pond is not the cleanest body of water3: therefore showers are mandatory after a voluntary (or involuntary) swim. Local history attributes the pollution to a timber mill, which used to stand on the river nearby. The mill must have been torn down long ago, as there is very little evidence of logging immediately surrounding the pond. Recently, several fountains have been installed in order to aerate the pond and improve its condition.

The Swimming Holes

A segment of the Yamhill River just upstream of camp is referred to as the Boys' Swimming Hole, although it is now used by both sexes4. The river is notoriously cold here, because it is fed nearby from the snow melting off of Mount Hood. The most popular activity is the large rope swing over (and into) the river.

The Girls' Swimming Hole is just downstream of the bridge to the Mill Pond. It also features a rope swing, though it is not quite as large. Particularly adventurous swingers are advised to look out for the large, flat rock just beneath the surface on the far side of the river.

Events

The camp operates regular summer camps, or 'church camps', as well as Challenge by Choice, Camp Yamhill Christian Outdoor School (CYCOS) and Yamhill University. It also helps organise retreats for the A Cappella Churches of Christ in the area.

  • Pre-Teen: Grades 3-4
  • Sub-Teen: Grades 5-6
  • Jr-Teen: Grades 7-8
  • Sr-Teen: Grades 9-12
  • Challenge by Choice has two sections. Section #1 caters for ages 10-13, while Section #2 covers ages 14-18. This camp uses the challenge course to teach core values.
  • Camp Yamhill Christian Outdoor School is a one-week environmental science program for Grade 6.
  • Yamhill University. Suitable for Grades 9-12, this is a weekend focused on spiritual growth towards church leadership; it is by application and recommendation only.

Beyond its annual events, Camp Yamhill has hosted Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H clubs, the American Lung Society and the American Cancer Society, to name a few. In addition, Faith Quest, an annual youth retreat that regularly attracts over 500 teens, is held at Yamhill.

Summer Camp

A typical camp at Yamhill is a full five days of crafts, games, and spiritual growth. The day normally begins with at the flagpole where the colours of the USA are raised, followed by daily pseudo-aerobics and breakfast5. The day is scheduled by the director of each camp with group praise time, organised activities and games6, cabin cleaning, personal meditation and 'campfire'. Most days also include about two hours of unscheduled 'free time' when campers may hike, fish, canoe, play their own field games, or even sleep.

Challenge Course

Camp Yamhill is equipped with a full-featured challenge course, integrating high and low elements.

Low Elements

  • Wilderness Wanderings
  • Nitro Crossing
  • Hourglass
  • Postman's Walk
  • Trust Fall
  • Bosun Swings
  • Twelve more low challenges

High Elements

  • Flying Squirrel
  • 18.3m (60ft) Rock Wall
  • 274m (900ft) Zip Line
  • Leap of Faith
  • Giant's Swing
  • Cat Walk
  • Jacob's Ladder
  • Vertical Junkyard
  • Seven more high challenges

Contact Information

  • Camp Yamhill
    19651 NW Old Railroad Grade Road
    Yamhill, OR 97148
    USA
    Tel. (503) 662-3710
  • The camp is accessible only by a winding gravel road, so good traction is necessary. In the summer, the approach is best made with windows up to keep the dust out of the vehicle.

The Camp Yamhill website hosts a complete event schedule as well as driving directions and photographs of its summer camps.

1Affectionately referred to as 'the big tree'.2Constructed of great logs, resulting in many sore bottoms.3A common joke at camp is about its radioactivity.4Though not at the same time. There is an enduring camp rule that boys and girls must not go swimming together, to prevent 'unnecessary distractions'.5Breakfast always includes oatmeal at Camp Yamhill.6Plockey, a variation on field hockey using toilet plungers, is popular.

Bookmark on your Personal Space


Conversations About This Entry

There are no Conversations for this Entry

Edited Entry

A4075184

Infinite Improbability Drive

Infinite Improbability Drive

Read a random Edited Entry

Categorised In:


Written by

References

h2g2 Entries

External Links

Not Panicking Ltd is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more